My flats skiff build - Page 2
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Now that is GREAT!! Keep us updated, nothing like running around in a boat you built.

All I can say is clean up any epoxy drips before they dry. Vinegar for un-cured epoxy clean up is the way to go.

What brand epoxy are you going to use?

Bob
    Yep, the vinegar is amazing stuff for removing uncured epoxy. Through a personal recommendation I decided to go with epoxy from US composites. So far, it's been very easy to work with.

Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Not a whole lot to report, but Benji and I have started taping the jig stations. We started last night and will try to get a bit more done tonight. We will take a break for Christmas and work on it some more after Christmas. The good news is that Johnson Lumber delivered our Douglas Fir today so we should be able to make some serious progress next week! Here are some older pics that I never got around to posting.

Last edited by Rosco; 12-21-2010 at 12:36 PM.

One last pic of taping progress and delivered lumber.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Another progress video

We are using Meranti for the hull bottom and Okume for the hull sides. The hull sides will either get two layers of 4mm Okume glassed and painted or two layers of 3mm Okume with a layer of planked Honduran Mahogany with a bright finish. I still haven't decided yet, but will need to make a decision soon. Not sure if I want to pass down a museum piece to my son or something that is completely fishable with low maintenance. The first thing he asks when he get's home from school or when I get home from work is .... what are we doing next dad?

Only a few sons would answer "yes" to PERIODIC MAINTENANCE for the REST OF YOUR LIFE--BUT,that kid deserves the choice,and probably will be able to consider it realistically from his experience to this point.The boat will be a unique gift of pride and love you've given yourselves either way! Way To Go!

let see some more of that time line camera. Yall have a great project. Your son will remember this for the rest of his life. My father built Street Rods. I was out there with him a lot of the time.

Not a bunch of progress, but we did put in some work yesterday. The transom is dry fitted and we'll start on the chine logs and some shaping next.

Not a whole lot of progress to report at this point. I've been laminating the chine and with my medium cure epoxy and temperatures in the high 50's to Mid 60's in the garage, I've been waiting a while for my epoxy to cure. Anyway, got all the layers on the chine laminated and started some shaping today.

Last edited by Rosco; 01-15-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: insert video

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice pics. Keep them coming. I should invest in clamp stocks.....

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast