My flats skiff build - Page 5
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I've been trying to get some work done in the evenings this week. When I started this back in November, I thought I would would be fishing this thing by April ;D I'll set a new deadline of July 1st.

Anyway, here are some more progress pics. I'll get this side glued on and start dry fitting the other side. Once that's done, I'll start on the second lamination on the hull and sides.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Yep, work gets in the way of boat building. Looking forward to this weekend where I hope to get the other side done. Here's a quick video of the progress to the point of previous photos.

Rosco, you can put a towel in boiling water and then wrap the pieces of wood in it to soften the grain and make those bends a lot easier. Ive done it with chair arms and you can tie knots in the strips by the time its done. Looks like your coming alone fine though. Keep it up man!! I see a boat there!

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by baysider View Post
    Rosco, you can put a towel in boiling water and then wrap the pieces of wood in it to soften the grain and make those bends a lot easier. Ive done it with chair arms and you can tie knots in the strips by the time its done. Looks like your coming alone fine though. Keep it up man!! I see a boat there!
    I made it through, but had a bunch of broken planks along the way. I think I'll try the boiled towel as I start the other side this weekend. The worst part was having a plank break as I was gluing it on. Had to cut and fit a new one before the epoxy kicked. It was a little stressful.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Looking good Rosco!!! Looked like alot of work installing the plywood on the hull and sides. In my line of work, when we need a bend, we wet down the material a few times, then let it dry over saw horses. It helps with the bend. I don't know if this would help you with the material you are using, but you can give it a try. Looks like alot hard work in a build but you'll be sitting in her one day proud as a peacock.

Hi John,

I didn't work as hard on the boat as I should have with breaks for watching college basketball, but I did get some work done. I found that a moist towel wrapped around the plank then hit with a hot iron worked the best to soften up the grain of the wood. Only put a few hours in today, but still making progress.

Finally got the first layer done! Wet towel and hot iron seemed to really do the trick. She will really start to look nice once the second layer is on and the second layer pulls in the first and gets rid of the fish scaling (little gaps you see in between some of the planks). Will get back on to work on it this Saturday.

Last edited by Rosco; 03-21-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Rob she is looking great!,, nice one!

Haven't posted an update in while. I've been working away in the sponson area of the boat. I won't have easy access to this area once it's completely planked so I've had to finish the area before gluing the transom on in the morning. Anyway, not much left to do back there but close her up and start the second lamination.

Hey Jim,

Very close. It's 6mm Meranti. Just got done dry fitting a second layer of 6mm Meranti on the hull bottom. Will glue it on tomorrow and then move on to another layer of 4mm Okoume on the sides. Won't be long before she's ready for some glass!

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast