Gear Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear Question

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Gear Question

Thinking about going over to the dark side. I fish with spinning gear on all my lite tackle out fits. Now I thinking about changing over to a low profile reel I looking at the Daiwa Coastal 153H http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=10 and either a Daiwa Procyon http://www.daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=248 casting rod in either one of these models PCN 601MFB, PCN 661MFB, or a St Croix rod http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/premier-casting model Pc66 Mf. I will be using either 8 OR 10 test Mono line.

I'll be using this combo for Speckled Trout, Puppy Drum, Flounder and small Blue fish.

I’m just wondering what you guys think of this combination?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The Daiwa reel looks good and I do not think you will go wrong with your proposed combos. I use the Shimano Curado low profile reels for fishing similar to you. I have both the 200 and 300 models. They are used in both fresh and salt water with St. Croix Triumph and Mojo rods. I cannot say enough good things about the Curado's. You can use them for anything from perch to tarpon. And, their adjustments are very easy to learn and use.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I don't really care too much for the low profile casting reels but a buddy of mine uses the Curados as well and he loves them. I personally like using the small spinning reels for reds and trout. I have 2 of the 2500 Shimano Saros reels. I love those things!!

Shayne

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Shayne I have plenty of small Daiwa Regal, Laguna andExceler spinning reels in the 2500 series. I was looking for somthing different to use.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Not a very well matched combo. Your putting a #12-14 reel on a #8-15 rod and expecting to do able to cast something? Either reel will work when matched to the right rod, Question is, what do you plan on throwing with these rods so we can match the casting weight to the rod. Then the rod to a reel.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
    Not a very well matched combo. Your putting a #12-14 reel on a #8-15 rod and expecting to do able to cast something? Either reel will work when matched to the right rod, Question is, what do you plan on throwing with these rods so we can match the casting weight to the rod. Then the rod to a reel.
    I'm ignorant, so bear with me. But I'm kind of curious as to what the line class rating has to do with the cast-ability. And why would there be a problem with a 12# - 14# reel on an 8# to 15# rod? I would think that you'd be fine using 14# test line on that combo. On the surface I would think that, so long as you used line within the limits stated on the rod and the reel, and adjusted the reel for your lure, and use a lure within the recommended limits of the rod. . . you'd be "OK". Please explain?

Thanks

The reel is spooled with 10lb. mono the rod will be either a medium or medium heavy rod not decided yet. I will be casting lures from ¼ oz. to ¾ oz. looking to target specs puppy drum and flounder and maybe some other species in that class.

Your choice seems fine to me. I had a Diawa Coastal and didn't care for it. I have a curado 200e7 any really like it.

uncle phil what didnt you like about the Coastal and what made you decide on the curado 200e7 and why?

Ok so the rod I was looking for finally came in so here is the new set up is the Daiwa Costal 153H WITH http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=10 10Lb. Suffix Superior test lone mounted on a Daiwa Procyon http://www.daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=248 model number PCN 661MFB casting rod. I'll be using this out fit mainly for Specks puppy drum and Flounder.

So what do you think about this out fit?

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast