Lower Susky Report & Illegal Fishing for Rockfish....PICS!!!!! - Page 5
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 225
  1. #41
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnylaw View Post
    i hope they hit a rock and drown in the cold dark current
    classy. I guess discussing the issues is beyond you, better to wish ill on people instead of back up your argument with reasoning. Do you also feel good when someone dies in a car accident if they are speeding?

    aside from that, if you actually read my post you'd see that the methodogy by which the ASMFC oversees the fishery is completely backwards. And stripers aren't the only fish that are mismanaged and completely out of line with the aims of the regulatory body. That of course, would take your time and diligence to read and research the laws, and understand the history of the regulations and the fishery.

    but instead you're choosing to hope people who break an illogical law drown. Way to go.

    Oh, and I almost forgot to add, the fish spawn on the flats and below. This was already brought up on this thread. Go back and read, there's some good information that you should know, it involves the fishery you should hopefully seek to preserve.
    Last edited by Striperchaser; 04-11-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: forgot stuff.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #42
    Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    4,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Yes, that could mean we could lose the flats, the bay and any other catch and release water out of season. More changes could be coming down the road for us. I don't like it, but it is what it is. Comparing Catch and release to the trawl fishery is insane but it's happening. Whether we think it's a privilege or not is irrelevant. We could lose them. Which might not make any difference to you but it could happen. The fact is that there is some mortality associated with catch and release. With the proper education and handling, that mortality goes down but some people think it is far too high. It is also harder to keep track of so whatever percentage it is, no one can estimate as they don't know who's fishing. Places like the Choptank, Chester, and other tributaries are closed now for a reason. Would you want everyone with a john boat up the Choptank harassing the largest concentration of spawning striped bass on the east coast? Would you want everyone with a pair of waders on the susky? If that were permitted to happen, there sure would be some mortality.



    So let's move this thread over to the conservation board and watch how we draw more attention to ourselves that could negatively affect how we fish, catch and release or not.

    Last edited by Salmo trutta; 04-12-2011 at 09:29 AM.

  4. #43
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,474

    Default

    The reason the Susquehanna was closed for Striper fishing in the spring is because the Stripers follow the Herring up to the dam to feed on them and it was thought, with good reason, that the Stripers are concentrated in large numbers the closer to the dam you get. It had nothing to do with current or the falisy that they spawn in the Susquehanna.

    It has been proven that C & R, in the spring, when the water temperatures are below 65 that the mortality rate is very low. As the temperatures rise, mortality rises also.

    As far as where they spawn, in the upper bay, it has also been proven, that the majority of the fish spawn in the Elk and the C & D canal. That is not to say that a few do not spawn in the flats. And, anyone knows, who fishes the flats with any regularity, that when the Stripers are spawning, it is almost impossible to catch one.

    What I would like to see is mandatory circle hooks for bait fishermen, in the entire bay. As it is now, you can legally fish in the Elk River, for Catfish or any other species, other than Stripers, and you do not have to use a circle hook. Where just around the corner, in the Northeast, you must use circle hooks. This law, to me, does not make sense.

    Ele

  5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #44
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Striperchaser View Post
    No worries, I wasn't trying to be a jerk, so I apologize if I came off that way. It seems to me that if there is an increase in mortality from catching fish in current they should ban fishing at indian river inlet. Furthermore, since the river often has little to no current during high tides and low generation, the reasoning seems even further from the truth of the matter.

    Also, I'm sure you have the best of intentions about the fishery. My comments are in no way directed at you personally, just so we're clear.
    At first I might have read your response as being a bit of a jerk, but then I read it again and I was sure you weren't. It's cool. I really wish I remember who told me this because there are a lot of guys on here who say it's simply false. Maybe I was fed some BS, but it made sense to me at the time, especially because I thought the source was intelligent about rockfish.

  7. #45
    Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    92

    Default irony

    Funny how the same people that are upset at cnr will be trolling planer boards for pre spawn fish this weekend.

  8. #46
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    273

    Default

    ^ or keeping them once the season opens. My friends and I have literally caught thousands of stripers during the c&r season over the years. I'd say that we have had less than 20 fish not survive. 20, and that's out of several thousand fish caught and released. What I don't get is that people are worried that a few fish might be killed during this c&r season and therefore won't spawn....but they will keep and kill when the season opens.?? It doesn't matter what time of year you take a fish for the table, prespawn/postspawn, it will never spawn again.

  9. #47
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrogowitz View Post
    Funny how the same people that are upset at cnr will be trolling planer boards for pre spawn fish this weekend.
    SOOOooooooo ironic,Funny how protective of the fish down the bay folks are while C&R is open up the bay,But when the season opens down the bay they drag em to death and keep what they can.Just an amazing state of affairs with the whole fishery.This whole snitching and praising the cops for enforcing BS laws regarding catching and releasing fish is just outrageous.Some simple people out there.

  10. #48
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ele View Post
    The reason the Susquehanna was closed for Striper fishing in the spring is because the Stripers follow the Herring up to the dam to feed on them and it was thought, with good reason, that the Stripers are concentrated in large numbers the closer to the dam you get. It had nothing to do with current or the falisy that they spawn in the Susquehanna.

    It has been proven that C & R, in the spring, when the water temperatures are below 65 that the mortality rate is very low. As the temperatures rise, mortality rises also.

    As far as where they spawn, in the upper bay, it has also been proven, that the majority of the fish spawn in the Elk and the C & D canal. That is not to say that a few do not spawn in the flats. And, anyone knows, who fishes the flats with any regularity, that when the Stripers are spawning, it is almost impossible to catch one.

    What I would like to see is mandatory circle hooks for bait fishermen, in the entire bay. As it is now, you can legally fish in the Elk River, for Catfish or any other species, other than Stripers, and you do not have to use a circle hook. Where just around the corner, in the Northeast, you must use circle hooks. This law, to me, does not make sense.

    Ele
    Well said. Much of this confirms my point. I still find it repugnant to have a law based on a "concentration" of fish when the data definitively shows that C&R does not harm the fish. Furthermore, the "concentration" that the DNR holds as the reasoning for this bogus law was the product of anecdotal evidence (angler surveys) taken in 1999.

    Even better is the fact that much of these regulations came in response to the publicity that the river fishery had from THE INTERNET. couple a legion of people new to the river fishery (they just found out about it on the internet) with an angler survey, and you have BS numbers "yee haw we nailed em!". -and even IF there is a larger concentration of fish, what reason is there to limit fishing for them when C&R can be done with minimum to no impact.

    sadly, pandora's box is open on the river. Gone are the days when there were no bs regulations, and no internet to tell people from all over the country where to get a shot at a cow striper without a boat. It's time for regulations in step with reality- Single barbless on lures larger than 3" and circle hooks on live and cut bait until June 1. How hard is that? anyone who thinks that opening the river to C&R is detrimental to the fishery needs to have their head examined.

  11. #49
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaddart2004 View Post
    SOOOooooooo ironic,Funny how protective of the fish down the bay folks are while C&R is open up the bay,But when the season opens down the bay they drag em to death and keep what they can.Just an amazing state of affairs with the whole fishery.This whole snitching and praising the cops for enforcing BS laws regarding catching and releasing fish is just outrageous.Some simple people out there.
    It's sad that this drama is allowed to continue. Can we all agree that the netters are the problem and that C&R will NEVER be an issue? naah, that would be too logical.

  12. #50
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter1188 View Post
    At first I might have read your response as being a bit of a jerk, but then I read it again and I was sure you weren't. It's cool. I really wish I remember who told me this because there are a lot of guys on here who say it's simply false. Maybe I was fed some BS, but it made sense to me at the time, especially because I thought the source was intelligent about rockfish.
    they might have been intelligent about the fish but confused on the law. Ele gave a good history of the law. It is based on anecdotal evidence of "more fish" upriver. that's it. Funny how concentrations of these fish which occur during fall and winter allow for unregulated by MD, VA and NC. Actually, not funny, it's sad- all fishing should be open to C&R, all the time.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Link to Us   Subscription Information   Advertise   Privacy Policy   Resources   Contact Us   About Us

©2012 TidalFish.com. All Rights Reserved.