mercury lanyard kill switch question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks guys! I had a 1Amp trickle charger on the battery all night. After work it started up. It isnt running at 100% yet. I removed the battery and had it tested. It had sat for two years. It was almost completely drained. They are charging it for me and the machine says it is going to take four hours. After draining the gas, changing all the filters and plugs it idols a bit better. Im not sure if I need to get it serviced or take it out and run it wide open to get the carbs cleaned out real good. We will see after the battery is done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Mugsmaster,
    You might want to decarb your motor. My evinrude on the small boat wasn't 100% either and after I decarbed it, it was WAY smoother.

I have a 75hp Mercury with 3 carberators. How do you "decarb" your motor?

To decarb, take the air baffle off the carburetors, warm the engine and spray the contents of the can into the carbs evenly. The engine should be idleing slightly higher than normal. After you spray it, shut it down for the recommended time on the can. When you start it up be ready to kill all the mosquitos in the area. The instructions on the can are pretty simple and you can get it at West Marine.

You dont lke the SeaFoam and one gallon of gas drill?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugsmaster View Post
    You dont lke the SeaFoam and one gallon of gas drill?
    I'm sure people have had success with that method. I've used Seafoam but have not had the results that I have with Decarb for a carbed engine. I also use Starbrite Startron. I use five ounces directly in the water separator and take it for a run. It cleans out the fuel system. I stick with what works for me. After 1100 hours on my F225 engines, the VST tank is just as clean as new. Regular maintenance and filter change and, knock on wood, no issues.

One thing that carbon on the rings can cause is stuck rings. They don't expand and cause scoring of the cylinders and lost compression. It had it happen to me once on a commercial Evinrude and it was an expensive lesson.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

OK if anyone is still interested..... West Marine gave me a new battery and the engine started!!!! It still does not start properly though and I have to crank it for what seems like 60 seconds which is an eternity if you're out on the water. I also decarbed the engine which didn't make a difference. At least we were able to get out on the bay for a few hours even though the weaather was really crappy, I just left the engine running. We even caught a 20" flounder off of 28th St. ! I have made arrangements for someone to check the engine out for me so I guess we'll see.....

Congrats. Good to see you got out. Now maybe you can get that bad boy fine tuned.

Well I have two things left to try. While the enging was running I pressed on one of the fuel lines going to the top carb and the engine reved for a second(I had the throttle in neutral giving it enough gas to run at a higher RPM). Also the control arm wasnt in the controller all the way and I fixed that. That didnt affect the idle. I may take off the air box and attempt to change the lines goeng to the carbs. They may be clogged or letting air in the mix maybe? While the airbox is off I will use the spray SeaFoam to clean things up. The directions say I can spray it into the air intakes for each carb. If this doesnt work off to the repair shop it goes.

11. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12