Question Fishing in Italy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Fishing in Italy

I know its a ways away from the Bay but Im going to Italy for 2 weeks in June and would like fish at least once while im there. I have searched all over the internet and only info I can find is that swordfish and tuna are prevelant over there, but cant find any info on charter boats. I will be on the west coast of Italy, so fishing in the Mediterranean! Figured someone on here has been. Thanks in advance for any info!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I cannot speak to Italy, but I have been in several coastal towns in Greece and Croatia, plus on several Greek Islands. I saw little if any advertising for sportfishing in any of those spots. One thing to consider is that local fishermen have been working the near shore waters for centuries. There are very few large fish or typical sport fish near shore anymore. I recall walking to the dock in Epidavros, Greece (on the Peleponnesus peninsula). I watched a commercial fisherman come back to the dock in late morning. His entire day's catch was about a dozen small to medium fish. He was able to sell those fish for enough income to support his boat and himself. I can vouch that fresh fish was extremely expensive in the restaurants on the islands.

You might consider talking to one of the small-time commercial fishermen who go out each day in their old boats to see if you can ride along. He might enjoy the company, and you could give him some euros.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Had -2-trips to Scily the last couple of years and spent a lot of time searching the net for info on inshore fishing without much success. Visited the fish market in Catania and all I saw were a few tuna and an assortment of small fish some of which I was not able to identify. Did not have much success looking around when I got there. Gasoline equivalent is about $8-9+/gallon so there were not a lot of "sports" going out in their boats. Saw a few commercial guys netting but did not see much caught. Also visited the fish market in Siracusa and saw the same. There is a fish similar to our sea bass that is prevalent everywhere but most were small. I got the impression that the resource was pretty well fished out near shore although some guys showed up with tuna, small swords and what looked like an AJ.
    Hope you have better success that I did. Read a post just a few days ago that the newly elected European Representative for the IGFA was from Catania, Scily. You may want to do a search and try an email to him. Best I can do for you Cia!
    Last edited by DaveHuz; 05-21-2011 at 02:03 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

You can find boats. Google for naples or rome sport fishing. There are blue fin tuna in the med
    Good Luck
    Uncle Bob

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Charlie S's Avatar

I've spent some time on the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Naples and Positano. The only concentration of "sport fishing boats I saw was on Capri.
    I have no idea if there are any Charters available but I sure didn't see any indications. I would have your travel agent investigate for you.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Great fishing there.Home of the whoppers.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Nick View Post
    Great fishing there.Home of the whoppers.
    Capt Nick, There's only a few of us who picked up on the double entendre

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Fishing in Italy

I was in Italy last year for two weeks and had the same problems you have. I found no charters however I found some man made fishing lakes. They are set up everywhere. Basically its like a golf club. You join and go fish. Non-members welcome and they all had rods to rent. Concrete man made lakes
    This might not sound like too much fun however they are full of big trout, salmon, and even big sturgeon.
    Check it out worth a look

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

its my understanding that the Mediterranean has been pretty heavily fished for the last ten thousand years or so, the blue fins go there to spawn but live out in the ocean

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I lived on Elba for a few years and fished when I could, the Bluefin migrate through and we fished on both Elba and Sardinia, swordfish are around as well, there is still a resident population of Great whites, though they tend to stay further south (sicily). I was lucky and had access to boats, not really sure there is much of a charter scene, but for some local fun go to the port in Portoferaio, Elba where there is a healthy fishing fleet of small boats they are usualy happy to take you out and catch squid at night and when they are around and the Bluefin will be right behind them. July and august were good for bluefin. (Note 60lb Bluefin on a handline will get your attention.)

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast