Tidal Fish Forum banner

transmission cooler

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Capt.Nick 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 Dodge 1500 4.7 4x4.I'd like to install a trans. cooler.Anybody done it?

#2 ·
I have done it on a few vehicles. With motor cold,start it up, let if run for a few minutes, then feel the 2 trans lines going into radiator, take note of which is hotter, this is out of trans line. Attach trans cooler to the other colder line. This is the same regardless of manufacturer. The hot trans fluid goes thru radiator first to cool then goes thru auxiliary to cool further. Or, you can get a really big cooler and bypass the radiator all together. I have not tried this type because, I don't trust it.

#4 ·
I fully agree with placing the cooler in the return (to trans) line. Taking advantage of the cooling effect of the radiator then further cooling thru the trans cooler before return to trans is more effective at heat removal.
I have no experience with dodge vehicles but I have put 200,000 plus miles on a GM Suburban and (currently) 215,000 miles on a 99 Yukon Both vehicles had the 700 R4 overdrive trans and neither ever needed repairs. I attribute this to Changing the trans oil and filter regularly, the Oil cooler, and common sense driving while towing.
These vehicles have made 6 or 7 trips each from central MD to the FLA keys and back plus a dozen or more trips each to Morehead city NC and back.
This while towing a 20 ft GW perched on a tandem trlr loaded with vacation and fishing toys, plus luggage.
Transmission coolers are worth more than there weight in gold if you tow a lot at hiway speeds or crossing hilly terrain.
Plus I have never heard anyone say that the trans cooler on their tow vehicle was a mistake.

#5 ·
Thanks guys.I have a cooling guage.That's why I'm putting on a cooler.It runs hot during hot while towing a 20ft. cc in warm weather.I once burnt up a trans. towing a 24 Grady back from Hatteras in the early 90s.I had a new trans put in in VA. and was told they'd add a trans cooler.it never got hot after that.The same truck previously pulled a 21ft. I/O cuddy from Balto. to Key West with 3 of us loaded down without a problem.When vehicles come with tow packages,they usually have a trans cooler.Smaller boats aren't a problem.They're just a small radiator in front of the main radiator that's attached to the trans as mentioned.I checked a few places on these to compare prices.Dealer cost $200 for cooler +$95 instalation.Auto stores have after markets from $30-$60.I"ll have one on for next boating season.Again,thanks for all the input and keep your eyes on the guage while towing.If it gets hot,turn the heat on high and or pull over to cool off the engine before you burn up your trans.

#6 ·
You want to install the cooler in the lines BEFORE it hits the factory cooler in the radiator. Otherwise, you could have a condition in extremely cold weather where the trans is not up to operating temperature.

Like a refrigerated tractor trailer hauling food, sometimes in extreme cold, it's actually using a HEATER in there to maintain a 40 degree tremperature to keep food from freezing.

Same for your trans, it's designed to perform at a certain temp. The radiator factory cooler will maintain it there. Rule of thumb, factory cooler has the final say. That = auxilliary trans cooler before the radiator.

#7 ·
You want to install the cooler in the lines BEFORE it hits the factory cooler in the radiator. Otherwise, you could have a condition in extremely cold weather where the trans is not up to operating temperature.

Like a refrigerated tractor trailer hauling food, sometimes in extreme cold, it's actually using a HEATER in there to maintain a 40 degree tremperature to keep food from freezing.

Same for your trans, it's designed to perform at a certain temp. The radiator factory cooler will maintain it there. Rule of thumb, factory cooler has the final say. That = auxilliary trans cooler before the radiator.
Thanks Bob I'll take it to the Dodge Dealer and not take chances.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.