Ghost Pots - We don't need to pay anymore... - Page 9
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Do you think a majority will agree?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Sure. If the facts are known. Unfortunately the facts are not known. We don't know how much gear is being lost. We don't know how the gear is being lost. We don't know how much gear is being deployed. We don't know how the lost gear affects marine wildlife. The game is rigged in favor of the polluters.

Booom!

What was that?

You blowing up your own argument.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I think the premise of this entire thread is that the people losing the pots should be held accountable. Whether it should be accomplished through biodegradeable panels or actual gear accountability is left to be seen. As Matt points out - if we could get to the root cause of pot loss, or the several root causes, we could probably make changes to the gear/fishery such that pot loss is no longer much of an issue.

I'd go along with the bio-dregradable panels.
    I believe the root causes for the lost pots has been determined.
    Weather, traffic, and depending who you ask, malicious cutting free of the float.
    But in my mind, it becomes a tough thing to determine who is responsible for the pots being lost.
    What I mean is, when the waterman leaves his legally placed pot and heads for the dock, he knows where it should be when he returns the next day.
    I come through that night, accidentally snag that pot and drag it into deep water.
    Did the waterman loose that pot, or did I loose it for him?
    When he returns, he doesnt know if that pot was cut off and laying under him, or dragged a quarter mile.
    He's not going to stop crabbing, deploy a grapple and ride around in circles looking for it.

So if the state deems it necessary, let them impliment the panels.
    I'll also say, that if the state put a $5 ghost pot fee on every bushel of crabs sold to pay for the recovery, I'd pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotgumbo View Post
    I'd go along with the bio-dregradable panels.
    I believe the root causes for the lost pots has been determined.
    Weather, traffic, and depending who you ask, malicious cutting free of the float.
    But in my mind, it becomes a tough thing to determine who is responsible for the pots being lost.
    What I mean is, when the waterman leaves his legally placed pot and heads for the dock, he knows where it should be when he returns the next day.
    I come through that night, accidentally snag that pot and drag it into deep water.
    Did the waterman loose that pot, or did I loose it for him?
    When he returns, he doesnt know if that pot was cut off and laying under him, or dragged a quarter mile.
    He's not going to stop crabbing, deploy a grapple and ride around in circles looking for it.

So if the state deems it necessary, let them impliment the panels.
    I'll also say, that if the state put a $5 ghost pot fee on every bushel of crabs sold to pay for the recovery, I'd pay it.
    I disagree with almost everything you wrote.

The root causes have not been determined. You want to believe its all accidental. There is no evidence to that effect. The evidence strongly suggests this much recent loss was not accidental.

Bottomline who is responsible is different than who should be responsible. Right now everyone but the crabbers are responsible. $5 per bushel would be a start. Losing less gear should be the goal.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I disagree with almost everything you wrote.
    I stopped reading at that. It was the only sensible thing you have said thus far.

Fact is with the exception of a few stolen or cut off as per speculation will be had, I have witnessed more weekend warriors with props fouled by a pot then I care to remember. The problem is you only wish to blame the man who set his pots not the genius who knowingly turns into an area he knows is full of pots and proceeds to catch a few crabs the PROPer way.

Weather and a few other things mentioned are contributors but the biggest loss of pots is from recreational boats trying to shortcut the channel.

I have no objection to a biopanel but to try and roll blame on watermen for this is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. If ya don't believe me take 40 bucks with you next time you go out and throw it overboard. I have no intentions of doing that and although it happens no one trys to lose money, or pots.

Maybe we should switch to metal floats with wire rope leaders bet they won't get cut loose.

Another crabber blaming lost gear on recs.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Matt, I don't expect you to understand how things work out on the bay or the big blue ocean just east of here. So run around with your blinders on and not admit that a large portion of pots are lost due to the recreational fishing community running them over. I guess the facts are only good if they fit your agenda.

Even after some of the same guys who are in your inner circle agreed that a lot of pots get mauled by weekend warriors (skip even said he has to go diving the unwrap some of them)

O o

so your position is clear, when crabbers lose their gear and pollute the bay, recs are to blame. Got it.

This is no surprise and the main reason I think its a waste of everybody's time to pursue trap doors. Comms won't agree to that. The only reason they're losing gear, according to them, is because of everyone else. A much better solution, in my opinion, is to get to the root of this. Why is so much gear getting lost so recently. I think the facts clearly show, this isn't and couldn't be happening by accident.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast