Tidal Fish Forum banner

April 14th Fletchers Catching Report

880 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Tissy Furnes 
#1 ·
Hi Gang,

This is my last three day weekend of school, thank the good lord! A friend from school stays at my place every month the night before our class session here in NOVA b/c he is from out of town and we have class early on Fridays. We visited to the White House today and had a tour given to us by another classmate that works there. I had been there before, but it was cool t0 see what we did with our classmate, about all I can say about that. Anyway, on the way home we were driving back to NOVA on 66 with the windows down and the sun shining and I looked at my friend and said, "How about some fishing?" Being an avid angler himself and never have fished here before he said, Sure, do you know a good place we can go?" I jumped off 66 to the Key Bridge and we hit Fletchers. Rented a boat and away we went. Actaully my first time renting a boat there. It was high tide and it took about an hour for the bite to turn on, but when it did, it sure did. We caught about 25 shad and a lot of sun rays It was one after another about ever cast or two once it started. Some of the light tackle guys did not like me too much because the fly was simply on fire and whatever those guys were using was just not doing the trick. Honestly I think they just were not casting up tide, letting it sink and then reeling. I nicely hinted to that fact what they should do, but you can only suggest so much.
Anyway it was a good day out there, first time hitting that area and I will be back especially with the stripers that are hiding in there. When I get a chance I will upload a few pics.

Just as a note, I fished a sinking rio 250 line. The hot flies were a #4 chartruse Baker Dart and a #4 crystal shimp I came up with. Nothing fancy, but it works. Fished a double rig and Baker chartruse dart out caught my fly which was up front on the rig, but mine probably caught one in 4 over all and got a little better as the day went on. I guess it could have been the sun level or the fishing just got so hot it did not matter. The area we fishe was simply straight out from Fletchers. Not having been there I just picked a place where we could fish a lot of seams, it seemed (no pun intended to work [smile] )

Thanks to all that helped me get to Fletchers and provided some tips. All the advice was helpful and right on. Thanks again!

Brandon

See less See more
#2 ·
Fletchers is a very unusual, very interesting place to fish. All kinds of species can be caught there from late winter up through June. If you have never been up to Chain Bridge and above then you're in for a real treat. Striper report should start showing up in a few weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.