Tidal Fish Forum banner

Ford F250 Diesel Air Intake,Exhaust does it Equal Gas Mileage Increase

17K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  flycatcher 
#1 ·
I am thinking about getting a Cold Air Intake and Increasing Exhaust Pipe to help with gas mileage. The question is does all that increase mileage and if so what is the best system out. Another question is the gas savings worth the cost? Please help not sure what I should be doing if anything at all.

#2 ·
What year? Diesels like to breath. The more air in, the more air out, the more efficient it becomes. If it has DPF, like my 08, it won't get better fuel mileage till that goes away,egr tubes are blocked off, exhaust size is increased, get more air coming in and re programed/re tuned. I have seen one that all this has been done and it gets around 20 mpg and runs like a raped ape. Pretty impressive! Disclaimer: I am in no way suggesting or recommending the removal or alteration of smog gear, that's up to you.

#3 ·
Doubt you will recoup the investment - even with $4.00 a gallon diesel.

Most guys will upgrade the exhaust when stock wears out. At that point , not a huge price difference in replacing stock vs upgrade.

Foolish to cut away good stock exhaust until it rots out.

Keep the fuel filter and air filter changed and tire pressure at proper PSI - really helps squeeze every mile from that $1.00 a quart fuel.

#5 ·
I've got an 02 7.3L Ford with an aftermarket filter and straight through exhaust. Didn't see any marked increase in economy from either. Sure is louder though...

So...no, in my experience, you won't recoup your money in any short period. No real reason NOT to do it though if you like that sort of thing. I like to tinker, so I change/upgrade/delete/etc. on most things I own. Don't typically get my money back out of those ventures, but I didn't do it for that.

#7 ·
This is late but maybe someone searching will one day come upon this. To answer Your question the cold air intake and bigger exhaust will not help very much with fuel mileage. Yes a bigger exhaust can lower egt's but the cost of this items surpasses the savings in fuel. One thing You can do to help the fuel mileage and the engine temps is getting rid of that egr system if You haven't already. Now to help with fuel mileage the best thing You can use is a light foot and combine it with a good mileage tune, this will truly help. For reference I have owned ford diesels from 84-2005 and cummins as well, fords are not the best for mileage or power but they are darn good trucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.