Marylandís 2012 Chesapeake Bay Oyster Restoration Results Revealed - Page 11
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Hey Matt FYI : If you enact all the fishery management plans or even a moratorium ( which would not work because we have a defacto moratorium on now in a vast majority of tributaries and the Chesapeake Bay). Until we get an oyster that is not affected by disease, the oyster restoration efforts are a waste of time. The answer is Crasosstrea Ariakensis The State of Maryland was on their way to a proper restoration with the so called " Asian Oyster" until the environmental wackos got involved. It's a shame, by now we would be talking about how well the oysters are doing instead of tracking the same old nonsense

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

That is so five years ago Bud.

We've already proven that the native oyster can thrive if you just leave it alone for a bit. We've planted millions of native oysters in the last five years, in cages, in floats and on reefs that are thriving with very low mortality. Our local five year old reef had ZERO mortality for the last two seasons in our twice yearly sampling.

Paxfish: sorry to throw cold water ! You still haven't developed a SELF SUSTAINING POPULATION !!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Grin View Post
    Paxfish: sorry to throw cold water ! You still haven't developed a SELF SUSTAINING POPULATION !!!
    Lordy...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paxfish View Post
    That is so five years ago Bud.

We've already proven that the native oyster can thrive if you just leave it alone for a bit. We've planted millions of native oysters in the last five years, in cages, in floats and on reefs that are thriving with very low mortality. Our local five year old reef had ZERO mortality for the last two seasons in our twice yearly sampling.
    How can any population have zero mortality? Is that scientifically possible?

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chesbay2 View Post
    How can any population have zero mortality? Is that scientifically possible?
    As a card-carrying aquatic ecologist I can tell you that yes, that is scientifically possible. It means the entire population as sampled in the past two years survived and the individuals grew during the past two years. Of course a few individuals may have died but the number was very small relative to the total number in the population. All those oysters are part of newly created, healthy native oyster reef that filters water and provides important habitat. That is the point, the native oysters are thriving in many areas where restoration or aquaculture/rearing is attempted (as long as they are protected from oyster pirates).

Last year Paxfish posted photos on Tidalfish of rat reds caught in the morning before work while perch jerkin over live oysters; what awesome stuff!

Over a certain period, sure. We measure by taking three equally sized samples and counting. 3,4 and 5 years ago, we had mortality ranging from 5% to 25%.

The last two years, we have not been able to find boxes on our now-consolidated reef. As you know, we've had excellent climactic conditions in our area for the last two years.

I'll let you know how the spring count goes. Hopefully great!

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Grin View Post
    Hey Matt FYI : If you enact all the fishery management plans or even a moratorium ( which would not work because we have a defacto moratorium on now in a vast majority of tributaries and the Chesapeake Bay). Until we get an oyster that is not affected by disease, the oyster restoration efforts are a waste of time. The answer is Crasosstrea Ariakensis The State of Maryland was on their way to a proper restoration with the so called " Asian Oyster" until the environmental wackos got involved. It's a shame, by now we would be talking about how well the oysters are doing instead of tracking the same old nonsense
    so lets see, you want an underperforming fishery that is heavily affected by natrual mortality, but no fishery management plan or accountibility for harvesting or natural mortality, and the people who speak against introducing non-native species are the wackos. Ha ha. Like I said on the previous page, oyster fishery apologists are way offbase if they think we can fool mother nature. To bring back the natve oyster we have to let oysters develop genetic resistance to parasitic disease. This may take several generations of unharvested mature disease resistant oysters to stay in the water. That won't happen if harvesters keep removing mature disease resistant oysters.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    so lets see, you want an underperforming fishery that is heavily affected by natrual mortality, but no fishery management plan or accountibility for harvesting or natural mortality, and the people who speak against introducing non-native species are the wackos. Ha ha. Like I said on the previous page, oyster fishery apologists are way offbase if they think we can fool mother nature. To bring back the natve oyster we have to let oysters develop genetic resistance to parasitic disease. This may take several generations of unharvested mature disease resistant oysters to stay in the water. That won't happen if harvesters keep removing mature disease resistant oysters.

Disease resistance may take several dozen, or hundred generations, and the EIS recognized that issue. That's why it recommended large scale sanctuaries for that purpose. Only now, our sanctuaries are slowly getting carved up by those that want to conduct aquaculture in the same areas. I'm not against aquaculture at all, but I just wanted to point out that aquaculture operations could be a vector for disease to sanctuary populations.

In some ways I'm pleased at what this State has accomplished (transition to aquaculture, more sanctuaries, low natural disease mortality) but in other ways I'm very disappointed that the EIS ROD was not implemented as written. It was a perfect framework to follow (aside from funding required), but instead we let our stakeholder processes chew it up and implement something completely unrecognizable as the results of the EIS.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Scott McGuire View Post
    In some ways I'm pleased at what this State has accomplished (transition to aquaculture, more sanctuaries, low natural disease mortality) but in other ways I'm very disappointed that the EIS ROD was not implemented as written. It was a perfect framework to follow (aside from funding required), but instead we let our stakeholder processes chew it up and implement something completely unrecognizable as the results of the EIS.
    Scott, what was written in the PEIS that has not been implemented as written? I'm very familiar with the document, and you are the first person I've ever heard say that, so it's a bit of a surprise to hear.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast