Tidal Fish Forum banner

Belize Information

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  uncle phill 
#1 ·
Heading to Belize for the last week of December and staying at San Pedros Resort on Ambergris Caye. Trying to get on some Bonefish and was told that I can easily catch them right off the shore around the island. Would it be worth hiring a guide to take me out on the flats and do you have any you would recommend. Any other fishing info would be great.

Thanks.

#2 ·
You can catch bones out front on Ambergris but nothing like what you will see out back with a guide. If you are going all the way there, I would definitely recommend getting a guide. Do a day or two with a guide and walk the beach on the other mornings/evenings.

Your best bet would be to contact El Pescador and see if you can get one of their guides for a day. If not, I've used the guides that you can book through Ruby's hotel in San Pedro and have had good experience with them. For DIY out front, get out early and walk north along the beach looking for tailing/waking fish over the areas with good turtle grass.

Bring plenty of small, unweighted patterns in cream/tan colors. It is tough and expensive to find tackle down there so be sure to bring plenty of flies with you. Check out Black Fly Outfitters online to get pre-selected boxes of what you will need. You will be fishing a lot of very shallow water so bead chain or plastic eyed crazy charlie patterns are the best.

Unless the wind is howling a 7wt or 8wt will work well. I brought a 7 and a 9 and tended to use the 7 much of the time. The bones down there aren't huge but are super-plentiful. Enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.