Question Eeling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eeling

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Default Eeling

Back in the 60s and until 71,Eeling was very popular at the Annapolis Bay Bridge.You could rent a boat at Sandy point State Park,clamp on a 6 hp outboard then putt around the pilings with a dozen Eels and catch 6-30 pound Stripers when the tide got right.Catching 20 a tide was not a big deal during July & Aug.with always some in the 20 lb. catagory. with an occasional 30 Pounder in mid summer ,The Rock Hall Fleet was there all summer as we caught endless Stripers.I got my Captains License by the reopening of Striper season on oct.1 1990.You could just motor around from Swan Point to Love Point til you marked a school,drop an Eel,and if the tide was right,you would have a limit of nice Stripers in 20 min. for your party.By Nov.,the water temp would drop and the Eel bite would stop.You would then have to troll to catch Stripers.At the CBBTstripers are still caught on Eels in Dec.I do not think the water temp is the same in Dec. at the CBBT as it is in Oct. in the upper Bay?I've never understood why they stopped taking Eels in Nov.. in the upper Bay,but still take Eels at the CBBT in Dec?There are exceptions to every rule but for the most part,they stop taking Eels in Nov. above the Bay Bridge.Does anyone have an answer?
    Last edited by Capt.Nick; 12-21-2012 at 07:22 AM.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The eels are migrating out of the bay right now so fish down there are actively looking for them. They spawn in the Sargrasso Sea.
    Last edited by skipperwork; 12-21-2012 at 07:27 AM.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

https://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...-Floating-eels

Eels work in the fall when they start migrating out the bay but in the summer spot are the ticket.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

No sure Nick, but the Rock Hall fleet in the 70's also used softcrabs at the Bay Bridge in the summer.. We used to also drift soft crabs all over, but you don't see that happing as much now. Guess the cost of them, is one reason.

Nick, I remember those days well. Live eels! We even used salted rigged eels. Trolled them. There was a guy who rigged them and sold them out of an old panel truck there at Hubbards pier and resturant.
    Also we chummed with piss clams two bushels a trip. All the boats at Rock Hall had chumming machines.Then started using soft crabs in the chum line. Tossed them back as far as you could. Crabs caught the bigger fish. Then we started useing only soft crabs. I can remember useing 12 Doz soft crabs on one trip. I think they were $10.00 a doz. We caught piles of fish!
    An eel is Striper Candy!
    Good old days?? Les

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I never fished with eels. Kinda a baby when it comes to reptile looking critters and snakes..lol🐍

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Has anyone ever found an eel inside a striper's stomach?

Some say that Stripers only bite eels, to kill them because they feed on the fry -
    I never heard a good explaination.
    Enlighten me please.

Do Stripers hit eels for food or not???

Thank you. TGB

Tom,

The answer seems obvious, but when one digs around a bit it proves difficult to find evidence that stripers actually consume eels for food. Here's a link to one picture with two eels from a striper stomach. Interestingly, only a few pics in the entire thread actually show eels in striper stomachs.
    http://www.stripersonline.com/t/6068...h-contents/150

Quote Originally Posted by TomGlenBurnie View Post
    Has anyone ever found an eel inside a striper's stomach?

Some say that Stripers only bite eels, to kill them because they feed on the fry -
    I never heard a good explaination.
    Enlighten me please.

Do Stripers hit eels for food or not???

Thank you. TGB
    I have pulled in some big Stripers with 5 eels sticking out of their mouths...as a matter of fact, we were in a tournament and when they fell out we contemplated shoving them back in!!

Blog Entries

thanks for gruesome thread and answers

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast