Fishing Report Done with the CBBT for now and another BLOWN ENGINE! - Page 12

Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

American Suzuki Motor Company is the American branch of the Suzuki Corporation. Suzuki has sold very few cars in the US, and only offered 4 models in the US market. Suzuki motor cars sell well in other countries. ASMC has no direct ties with Suzuki Marine. Suzuki marine has dealers in Middle River, Deale, Curtis Bay, Grasonville and East New Market in MD. I have an old Zuke 2 stroke which has been excellent, but haven't used it for several years. There are more Zuke dealers in MD today than there were 5 years ago. I have no ties with them - just passing on info.
    I also have a 2011 Honda 225 which I mentioned in an earlier post.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have 2 agree with LoneRanger --- I too have done tons of engine work and Honda changed SOMETHING. I have friends with 1999 BF130's on their boat and they too RUN that thing -- LOTS. They have never had an internal problem like a thrust bearing failure.
    With all the boat shows coming up --- Maybe you should talk to 7-on-your-side and see if they can help.

Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish Walleye Pete's Avatar

A lady in customer service with Honda told me I'm out of warranty, my mechanic stated he spoke with Carl who is the regional Honda rep who authorized my mech./dealer to sell me a Honda motor for 25% off retail...basically nothing good for me......the customer service lady also stated it's under review....after she told me that is when the Regional rep authorized a whopping 25% off retail price of a new 250 honda......I'll be attempting contact with a higher level customer service person as soon as possible........
    NEW WEB-SITE/Blog www.walleyepete.com
    Now Booking light tackle Stripers!!! Good stuff!!!
    Call with any quesions 703-395-9955

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

The Lone Ranger is right,,you are doing nothing wrong.
    You are not the only fisherman that "Run & Gun" there are plenty of fishermen that do this.

your motor has a key to start & stop it & a throtle & shifter to run it, using the motor for what is designed for(starting, stoping, shifting) should have no adverse effect on a well made & properly maintained engine, 5 powerheads with the exact same failure in 2200 hrs is a clear indication of a flaw in the motor. Honda's unwillingness to step up & remedy the situation is wrong.

I am a commercial crabber, I run a 10 year old Suzuki 4 stroke, it has over 2500 hrs & has never been back to the shop, the only repair has been a lower unit replacement, Not the motors fault, I hit a submerged object, I am aquainted with several other commercial crabbers & clamers that run Suzuki 4 strokes, many with high hours like mine 2000-3000 + hrs, they all report the same thing, NO problems, I know many others with 4 stroke yamahas,,same thing, most report little or no problems,,
    I know a few Etec owners & a high percentage of them are not happy with them , mostly due to failures of the ECM's & injectors & the associated downtime. soon after they went out of warranty.

at this point I would not consider another Honda,, it is time to walk away, & repower with something else, & leave your troubles behind.

dang, pete. i'm so sorry to hear of your problems -- particularly after the great fishin' year you've had this year, and the problems with the other hondas.
    you're only ONE MONTH out of waranty. honda should step up and do the right thing, tho i don't know what the right thing for you would be if you won't hang another honda.
    i'm no expert on such things, but i thought your judge might be a little under powered. after riding in it, and if you can wring 6000 wot, i'd say you're right in "the zone".
    ron (one fish) has 2 or 3 thousand hours on his 13 year-old 130's, and has had scarecly a burp or two.
    he and i sea-trialed a boat (about the same weight as yours but a cc) with a new (B-series) yammi -- i was very impressed.
    hope things work out to your satisfaction quickly and you're back on the water soon.
    good luck whatever you choose.

bil

hey pete we run 2 yamaha 150s and fish close to what you do with original engines still on boat and no problems with power heads we did have the lower units changed 4 or 5 years ago the yamahas have served us very well maybe switch to the grey hanging off the back brotha we will be down in jan and feb i told sherry the fish are waiting for us

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I PMed ya Pete

Whatever I can do to assist WP to get back on the water asap, please let me know ! My original (smaller) guideboat boat is currently not available as the engine is being repaired. It's probably too small and open , anyway.

After taking Pete's call on the phone, I've had a few minutes to think of a practical solution. The first play might be to lease a boat to enable him to keep his booking schedule on at least a temporary basis, while the engine repair/replacement process evolves. There might be folks on this forum who would be willing to do that. The second play might be to hire another guide such that you are hosting the trip, and the guide is merely the taxi driver, a means of conveyance , but you are calling the shots. For insurance reasons, I'm not that guide but I think there are some who would.

It has been my experience of over thirty years, twenty-two of which is guiding in a light boat in shallow water, that the manner in which guides operate, starting - stopping, etc is very destructive of outboard engines and that in about three years, that engine is close to done. Consequently a business plan in which a new motor is on the boat not longer than every three is prudent. I've rebuilt them after three, replaced with short blocks, etc and gone through lower units and starters like potato chips on a Sunday afternoon. Since I started guiding before four stroke outboards were even on the market, my experience has been with two strokes which I think are inherently better lubricated on start-up and less self-destructive that fours. At present I run an Evinrude E-TEC which I consider the very best two-stroke o/b currently made for my guiding biz. It's all about the cost of doing business, and it greatly affects the retail cost of trips to the anglers but just like liability insurance, ya gotta do it or be faced with a dilemma such as currently exists. Motors are not going to run forever, and they may or not give warning of failure and so that has to be factored in from having a Sea-Tow policy to doing the preventative maintenance religiously.

I've already spoke to WP about how I'd pick an outboard for my boat if I was faced with his problem. First I'd see what Honda was willing to do, then I'd call Bill Judge and ask for his advice. I think that has already been done. Then I'd start seeking bids. I'd start with dealerships near my home-base and selectively invite them to bid according to my own experience with them, and reputation for providing good service. And I'd be straight and up front with them about their policy/ability and willingness to get me back on the water asap if I breakdown during the peak of my season. In the end this is a 27' Judge , which is the queen-ship of Chesapeake guide-boats and if the local dealer isn't prepared to make dockside service calls, it means the boat has to be transported a distance over land to get fixed, etc.

Years ago I picked Guy Bros Marine in Clements,MD because they were the lowest bidder , and they were local to Southern Maryland, with a reputation amongst commercial watermen of being serious about keeping the working man up and running, including guides. Since 1989, they have continuously validated that reputation, and I think if WP has found a dealership that is equal to my experience with Guy Bros Marine, that he should be strongly encouraged to figure out a purchase that involves that dealership.

Anyway, that's my advice, for what it's worth and I hope to see WP back on the water before April.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

All good advice. I don't know how much more I could put up with Honda. If I was just a boat owner I think I might ride it out but being a guide is a different story. They have already had too many chances and too much time and money has been lost. Very tough decision but after hearing that a motor only lasts a guide about 3 years, it makes it easier. Yamaha is a great motor but Judge does not deal with them. Suzuki is my next option. During this thread I have heard of many issues with Honda but no one had anything bad to say about Suzuki. Boat or no boat, you are still the man Pete. I hope you get back in your element soon!................Gary

Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish Walleye Pete's Avatar

Merry Christmas all and thanks so much for the support and great advice.

Capt Brady...great stuff....your advice is highly regarded and greatly appreciated. For the moment I'm lucky.....fishing isn't great for what I do and I'm not in a rush to get back on the water. Fortunately I've had 3 good years of guiding even with all my horrible honda issues....lot's of great folks jumping on my boat! I want to move quickly after the new year. Hopefully I'll roll in the right direction......with my luck who knows? I don't have much booked in Jan.....if fishing is good I push trips, if fishing isn't decent I don't. So......not alot of trips booked for the CBBT in Jan as of this second, that's alright. I attempt to stay flexible in the winter and move depending on where fish are holding. If things pick up I'll certainly be down there as soon as I'm repowered.

Have a great day!!!!
    NEW WEB-SITE/Blog www.walleyepete.com
    Now Booking light tackle Stripers!!! Good stuff!!!
    Call with any quesions 703-395-9955

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast