Tidal Fish Forum banner

Where to move to in NC

33K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  Brianczaw 
#1 ·
Starting to get real fed up in this formally great state of MD. I am starting to looking where to move to in NC, my wife is from Sanford but we want to move to Albemarle or Pamlico sound area. The requirements for me is I want to be close to striper and crabs. can anyone provide info about species in Albemarle around Edenton, maybe what bites between the 94 and 17 bridges? Are there crabs there. Waterfronts are soooo much less expensive down there. Thanks!

#36 ·
Brian,
I've done some research, and mine is not a 15, like I was told by the previous owner, but a 14 footer.

Is yours a flat or V-bottom? There are pros and cons to both. The flat bottoms go faster with less HP, but the V bottoms handle rough water much more comfortably.

There have been a few days above freezing, and I've been taking mine out quite a bit. Not much fishing, but I'm doing a lot of testing with full loads, batteries and so on. Here is a pic of how I currently have it loaded, with two big batteries, a big, heavy seat/storage box, trolling motor, etc. She handles it all well, but now the top speed is down to 23 MPH, but I think I can get some back if I drop a prop size:

Boat Water Watercraft Naval architecture Vehicle

Water Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

One thing I would recommend is putting enough motor on the boat that you can get to your spots quickly. My last jon boat only had an 8 HP, and I got bored/frustrated with only doing 12 mph. Getting to spots was like watching paint dry! I ended up getting rid of that one, as couldn't take it.

This boat was almost as slow with a 15 HP. This 25 HP, on the other hand is MUCH better! Not blazing-fast, but at least you feel like you are getting there at a decent clip. I can see myself keeping this boat for a long time, despite it being kind of ugly. One day, I'll sand her down and paint her, and do the cosmetics. But for now, the only dressing-up she is going to get is a layer of fish slime! :)

-TH

#38 ·
It has been cold in NC but not as cold as MD. IT's all relative I guess. I hear ya about motor HP. I just got a little 14' flat bottom. I'm just going to use that to putt around and explore until I move my Proline down there. I plan on just pulling the boat out of the water and storing on my lot until then. I can just lock it to a tree. Not keeping anything fancy down there until the house is built.

#39 ·
Guys,
I think I figured out why she was bogging at 23 MPH... I think it was user error!

I posted the question over at tinboats.com, and several people asked me the same question about the primer.

It seems that I didn't push the primer button all the way in after warming up the engine, which is like running with a partial choke. That would put too much fuel in the system, hence the bogging.

As soon as we have a nice day, I'm going to take her back out and test the theory, but that sounds like the right answer. DUH!!!

-TH

#43 ·
Cool to hear. Gar are STRONG! In the Tar River, in Rocky Mount, we used to see them 6 foot long. You could hook them, but you would never land them on the zebcos we were using as kids. But it would still be about 10 seconds of pure excitement!

Glad to hear you are having a good time. The rockfish will be back in the fall.

-TH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.