Where to move to in NC - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I don't think I ever fished with you. Where? I currently keep my boat at Dundee during the summer. Where is that crestliner listed? got a link?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Sorry, I thought you might be Brian Cain. Fished in Baltimore and mid-bay together. I think his screen name is BrianC.

That boat had been in Richmond, but I see that it is gone, now. Must have sold over the weekend. That was an exceptional deal, in my opinion.

Suddenly, every one of the cheap deals are gone! I guess March fishing is getting closer. I'm seeing a bunch like this, though:
    http://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/4261910165.html Nice rig, just expensive!

But keep scanning the ads, and pounce on any you like the same day you find them.

-TH

Prices won't move to much in the future unless industry come in. No pay on the coast unless like stated you bring your job with you.
    Small communities like Edenton and Herford and even the bigger Elizabeth City are farm land town like I grew up in SE NC, Tabor City and
    10 to 11 dollars a hour jobs have standing room only on the waiting lines for jobs like that.
    Lived in New Bern for a year. Beautiful town and about the same as Wilmington. Been a while since I left Lake Waccamaw but I don't think even wilmington has moved to much in the pay dept.
    Cheap living east of I-95 but there's a reason. You can still rent a nice house around here for 600 a month.
    One thing about Edenton. I think the crime rate is very low over there. Pop up some security cameras that can be seen and I doubt you'll ever have any issues.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thill View Post
    Brian,
    Congrats on the future move.

We vacation in Nags Head every year. I highly recommend getting a 14-17' aluminum boat for fishing that area. Really good for getting into the skinny water and catching flounder and puppy drum. I stopped bringing my big boat, as the little boat is cheaper to tow, easier to park, and we catch more fish inshore anyway.

Here is mine. It's a 15' Crestliner that I cobbled it together from Craigslist. I think the hull was $350, motor was $350, trailer was $200. Added the front deck, and that's about it. Since these pictures, I sold the 15 and upgraded to a 25 HP Evinrude for $0 net, and now that little boat really flies! And with the deep-V, it's surprisingly seaworthy in choppy water. Really happy with this little rig!

Attachment 103937 Attachment 103945

Best wishes.

-TH
    That's the honest truth.I've owned over 30 boats in my lifetime so far and I'll have to admit I've caught more fish,more crabs.and have had more fun less expensively in small boats than any of the other boats I've owned.I'll be leaving one of my small skiffs on my property on Va.Eastern shore this spring for the season for the Shallow Barrier Island fishing myself.You can't beat it for that type of just plain fun fishing.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

Quote Originally Posted by Liveaboard74 View Post
    Trying to get you fired up and hurry up and get the house built so we'll have another fishing partner in the area.

About the first of April things start heating up so you have some time to get motivated till then. LOL

Your in a great location and there's all the fishing you want on with side of the 32 bridge but fun to pull around to new areas any time.
    Been wanting to try the lakes south of here for a while and planning on doing the short haul in spring seeing what they are all about.
    The guys that have posted are all correct. Fishing is fantastic and you'll be glad you made the move. :)

So now I am even more fired up. Picked up a little used 14' jon boat today. That should be good enough til I can bring my proline down after the house gets built. Looking forward to April-Liveaboard74

Brian,
    I've done some research, and mine is not a 15, like I was told by the previous owner, but a 14 footer.

Is yours a flat or V-bottom? There are pros and cons to both. The flat bottoms go faster with less HP, but the V bottoms handle rough water much more comfortably.

There have been a few days above freezing, and I've been taking mine out quite a bit. Not much fishing, but I'm doing a lot of testing with full loads, batteries and so on. Here is a pic of how I currently have it loaded, with two big batteries, a big, heavy seat/storage box, trolling motor, etc. She handles it all well, but now the top speed is down to 23 MPH, but I think I can get some back if I drop a prop size:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crestliner 01.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	108433
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crestliner 02.jpg 
Views:	673 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	108441

One thing I would recommend is putting enough motor on the boat that you can get to your spots quickly. My last jon boat only had an 8 HP, and I got bored/frustrated with only doing 12 mph. Getting to spots was like watching paint dry! I ended up getting rid of that one, as couldn't take it.

This boat was almost as slow with a 15 HP. This 25 HP, on the other hand is MUCH better! Not blazing-fast, but at least you feel like you are getting there at a decent clip. I can see myself keeping this boat for a long time, despite it being kind of ugly. One day, I'll sand her down and paint her, and do the cosmetics. But for now, the only dressing-up she is going to get is a layer of fish slime! :)

-TH

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

When I was in Florida a wek ago the guy that managed the fidsh camp on mosquito lagoon for the last 25 years was from Morehead city.He said he's never going back to NC.Too cold in the winter.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

It has been cold in NC but not as cold as MD. IT's all relative I guess. I hear ya about motor HP. I just got a little 14' flat bottom. I'm just going to use that to putt around and explore until I move my Proline down there. I plan on just pulling the boat out of the water and storing on my lot until then. I can just lock it to a tree. Not keeping anything fancy down there until the house is built.

Guys,
    I think I figured out why she was bogging at 23 MPH... I think it was user error!

I posted the question over at tinboats.com, and several people asked me the same question about the primer.

It seems that I didn't push the primer button all the way in after warming up the engine, which is like running with a partial choke. That would put too much fuel in the system, hence the bogging.

As soon as we have a nice day, I'm going to take her back out and test the theory, but that sounds like the right answer. DUH!!!

-TH

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I want one.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast