The Future Of Striped Bass Fishing in Chesapeake Bay - Page 14
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 12131415 ... LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EJP1234 View Post
    I agree there with it being positive, however it doesn't appear science was taken into consideration when designing the system. People look up to "big names" in the industry, and use their direction as education. I fear that more than 1 will suddenly dump a bucket or 2 of water in a cooler with the plug in the drain thinking the fish will survive.
    My crummy improvised live well has returned many cows alive back into the bay. I know it works and can prove it. More and more MSSA tournament anglers and others fishing tournament participants are embracing the catch weigh and release format utilizing live wells.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

After reading through this thread I think back over the last 15 years of striped bass fishing for me. At first it was fun learning how to troll in the spring and the fall for the big fish in my 17ft boat. The chutes and umbrella rigs were getting better every year. At some point it lost its excitement although it remains fun to hoist that 30 something inch fish over the side of the boat and show friends who are new to fishing how to catch a big fish. There were so many big fish, information on where they are and such great equipment that most fisherman with a boat could go out and catch a big rockfish. At times while trolling I tried to do he math. Count thee boats and figure between 2 and 6 big rockfish per boat. It added up. Then I started to notice the when I hopped on a charter boat a few times a year with friends charter boat captains were against catch and release. I moved on to jigging and the onslaught continued. Now instead of catching 3 or 4 large fish it was many fish at various sizes. I would hear reports of the new live lining techniques that produced fish all summer long. I knew this great fishing was coming to an end when I chartered a boat out of va beach 2 years ago and we had 16 40" fish in the box. Way more fish than anybody on the boat wanted to keep. That year there. Was a real slaughter going on. The fishing there was nothing like spring fishing in md. Acres and acres of big fish within the 3 mile line. Last year I spent 2 days fishing at the cbbt and caught very few fish. The fishery has changed. I'm sure there are plenty of big fish out there but the fish in the bay has been greatly reduced.

Maybe the big bluefish will return, maybe we will continue to get more redfish.

True dat, Daydreamer.
    A fitting point to end a thread sent to con/policy to die.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Replies: 132
    Views: 14,384

Thanks for the views and replies.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Brady Bounds View Post
    So the real nitty-gritty of it, is how do we cut back on the "trophy" harvest , both spring and fall ?

I personally think trolling is way out of hand. The use of sideboards allows literally dozens of rods, with lures combing the water column. My charterboat associates strive to layout as many lines as possible.....more means greater chance of a hook-up.

And the trolling lures carry stinger hooks.

In my opinion, the least restrictive control on trolling is to limit the number of rods/lines. However, At present I have no suggestion what that restriction should be.

Yes, Lets get to the nitty-gritty and use deductive reasoning since clearly you think that the activity of trolling is doing most harm.

Let me ask you a few questions. I would appreciate your responses in a back and forth dialogue:

Here is my couple of questions:

1. Are you most bothered by trolling in the bay because:
    • The number of partipants who troll?
    • The number of fish harvested by those trolling?
    • The number of fish handled/encountered per participant while trolling?

2. Does more gear really mean a greater chance of hook up? I mean-- just how many big fish can your clients on your boat generally expect to encounter on a "good day" fishing with "one-rod, one man" vs. a crew of 4 on a boat trolling with a "full trolling spread", regardless of the number of lines deployed?
    Last edited by iFishMD; 05-06-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
    Yes, Lets get to the nitty-gritty and use deductive reasoning since clearly you think that the activity of trolling is doing most harm.

Let me ask you a few questions. I would appreciate your responses in a back and forth dialogue:

Here is my couple of questions:

1. Are you most bothered by trolling in the bay because:
    • The number of partipants who troll?
    • The number of fish harvested by those trolling?
    • The number of fish handled/encountered per participant while trolling?

2. Does more gear really mean a greater chance of hook up? I mean-- just how many big fish can your clients on your boat generally expect to encounter on a "good day" fishing with "one-rod, one man" vs. a crew of 4 on a boat trolling with a "full trolling spread", regardless of the number of lines deployed?
    I'm not sure you can call that deductive reasoning. Your first question actually leads to a logical fallacy by elliciting a response about what bothers brady. A more effective, logical and deductive line of questioning begins with a very simple question: what data should we rely upon when judging the health of the striped bass fishery?

As far as the second question goes, that seems more like pro-trolling rhetoric more than deductive anything. Most states I think it is fair to say have rules that limit the number of rods and or hooks per person in a very strict and consistent manner. Under the unsciientific guidance of our local fishery "management" agencies, we threw away that rule book and opted for unlimited gear and virtually unlimited seasonal harvest per angler. This is a practice that has never worked anywhere in any fishery in fresh water or saltwater.

Matt, I am attempting to discover what is the problem that trolling many lines causes in the eyes of Brady. He is offering a solution without clearly defining the problem other than he thinks that trolling is out of hand.

Is it the number of fish being harvested? Or is it the number of fish being handled? Is it the number of participants? Is it the success rate of those trolling?

Does he want to solve the problem by reducing the number of fish being harvested or handled?

Does he want to reduce the number of participants?

Does he want to see other fishermen less successful?

I am also curious because he is a light tackle guide and I believe he must be successful at what he does since he continues to be in business. I am interested in his success rates with only one rod in use per person.

I don't want emotional solutions without the problem clearly defined.

B-Faithful ,

I am concerned about the whether the larger stripers in Ches Bay are being overfished, meaning being harvested and removed from the reproductive biomass.

I admit that I do not have an agenda or course of action on how overfishing on big fish can, or should be, controlled.

I observe that the majority of stripers over 36" are removed from Maryland waters during the Spring "Trophy" season and are largely caught by trolling. Also in the late Nov.-Dec there again is a period when big stripers enter Md waters and they are mostly taken by trolling.

So I ask the question is trolling for big stripers leading the fishery into another crash ?

Another way to interpret my concerns is; " Do we need to do more to protect the larger fish ?"

I don't claim to have a crystal ball, but I'll predict that the future of striped bass fishing will resemble something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spaceman_Fishing[1].jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	72722

Quote Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
    Matt, I am attempting to discover what is the problem that trolling many lines causes in the eyes of Brady. He is offering a solution without clearly defining the problem other than he thinks that trolling is out of hand.

Is it the number of fish being harvested? Or is it the number of fish being handled? Is it the number of participants? Is it the success rate of those trolling?

Does he want to solve the problem by reducing the number of fish being harvested or handled?

Does he want to reduce the number of participants?

Does he want to see other fishermen less successful?

I am also curious because he is a light tackle guide and I believe he must be successful at what he does since he continues to be in business. I am interested in his success rates with only one rod in use per person.

I don't want emotional solutions without the problem clearly defined.
    What Brady thinks is still secondary to a problem most of the users on tidalfish have openly acknowledged, in a recent poll no doubt, which is basically: striped bass and the striped bass fishery are in trouble again. In pursuit of one person's opinion, or perhaps in defense of trolling, it seems to me like you're glossing over the bigger issue. Assuming you merely speaking in defense of trolling...are you suggesting you have some kind of second amendment right to troll the barren sea for the last striped bass? I just don't get your concern. There's a problem. We all know there's a problem. Brady said it in his last post about as well and as clearly as it needs to be said. Do you disagree with him?

If it were up to me we would all get a trophy tag with our license and you could put that tag on a four foot long fish or a two inch fish. Once you use your tag, you are done. Or don't use you tag and release fish until you get your trophy. Once you have used your spring tag, no more C&R trolling in the spring. In the summer and fall we get another tag. You may continue to C&R striped bass after using your summer/fall tag. You may purchase additional summer fall tags at a premium until the fishery reaches a TAC. Then you would not be allowed to target striped bass. After you used your tags and all the tags were sold to the TAC, you would be allowed to target other fish, but when striper schoolies came in and you began landing them, you would be required to stop fishing for striper schoolies and move. This would reduce the excessive handling in the warmer summer months when incidence of bacterial infections was higher. What I have laid out is a flexible scientific plan that emulates Maryland precautionary post -moratorium fishery.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 12131415 ... LastLast