The Future Of Striped Bass Fishing in Chesapeake Bay - Page 9
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

In ALLTACKLE's defense, as a local tackle outlet, it makes good business sense to support the tourney.
    My hat is definitely off to him.
    My guess would be that if the mssa tourneys went to C&R next year they'd see a drastic reduction in entries.
    Because people want to catch, keep, and eat fish. Those who are content with C&R are in the minority.
    I seldom C&R fish, and I don't C&R hunt either.
    The Boatyard C&R Tourney does well because of the party after.

At the end of the day, the mssa is a business.
    Rockfish filets make money.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

For what it's worth all but one fish we caught this year was already spawned out. I think the season timing was pretty good. I keep my limit release the rest. Seems to work well.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotgumbo View Post
    In ALLTACKLE's defense, as a local tackle outlet, it makes good business sense to support the tourney.
    My guess would be that if the mssa tourneys went to C&R next year they'd see a drastic reduction in entries.
    Because people want to catch, keep, and eat fish. Those who are content with C&R are in the minority.
    Agreed, blame management and stop dividing rec fishermen. Is it justifiable to bash the C/K tourneys then go fishing for the same fish? C/R kills too. Like momma used to say, "can't be a little bit pregnant, can't have it both ways".

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by johnm003 View Post
    For what it's worth all but one fish we caught this year was already spawned out. I think the season timing was pretty good. I keep my limit release the rest. Seems to work well.
    Are you sure they were all females? And if you kept females after they were spawned out they won't spawn again will they?

The concern of Capt. Brady's post was that too many big cows were being killed, be it before or after they spawn.

In addition, most reports are that they are still catching fish with sea lice on them which indicates there is going to be some late spring spawn going on.

I seldom C&R fish, and I don't C&R hunt either.
    The Boatyard C&R Tourney does well because of the party after.

Isn't this what I said? It's all about the money. My hat is off to you as you will be spending more money to catch less fish. Sounds like a good business plan to me.

There's a huge difference between the Boat Yard and the MSSA touraments. Namely exactly what this deal is about. MONEY. MSSA pays some hefty money and I think many may be surprised how as to how many may participate if it were a c&r tournament. If those participating in the MSSA tournament were worried about catching fish to eat why would they pay an entry fee?

I am not a pro kill tournament angler and really don't approve of them, they are legal so that's that. The White Marlin Open is a kill tournament but they have set a size limit that has to be attained to qualify for the win. This has saved many white and blue marlin from ending up in the dump. There are ways to minimize the impact in kill tournaments and still have successful tourneys.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Planer boards allow charter boats, and private vessels, to be out there trolling 20 rods at a time. By tripling or quadrupling the number of rods fished, getting their "limit" of spawning females is not as tough as it once was. What troubles me is that there is a still a view that these are "recreational rod and reel fishermen". This is a commercial fishery that is no different than someone with a gill net. And these folks have a fair amount of political juice. Remember, DNR doesn't regulate fish, they regulate those who fish -- and like all regulators politics and economics play a significant role in the final outcome.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Catch & kill = 100% dead fish. Catch & release = 94% live fish... Use common sense people.

If we choose to eat a couple stripers now & then, fine, they are yummy. But, if the death of fish is required in order to obtain satisfaction, that is very sad.
    Let's save the fishery, folks, not pad people's pockets.

I guess using a condom would be the same as C & R... See, you can have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltor View Post
    Agreed, blame management and stop dividing rec fishermen. Is it justifiable to bash the C/K tourneys then go fishing for the same fish? C/R kills too. Like momma used to say, "can't be a little bit pregnant, can't have it both ways".
    Really? That was a pretty bad analogy... A C/K fish is dead, plain and simple... a C&R fish has a high probability of living to be caught again... no doubt some will die, but most live to breed and give us more to catch.

Though Largemouth are not Rockfish, look at the Largemouth stock on the Upper Bay... one of if not the best place to be largemouth fishing in the entire country right now... It's a small area, and is fished as hard as any place for bass... fish are caught, put in livewells or just immediate C&R as it has been for a while now, and its honestly is one of the premiere places in the US to get them...

So if there is a high mortality rate for C&R fish, how is this possible...

Change is a hard thing, it really is. I can understand, people have been going out and catching and keeping all of the rockfish for years. I understand, you pay big bucks, you enjoy catching them, you enjoy eating them... No one is asking you to give that up... Your being forced to, as the fish are disappearing..

We can argue it until we are blue in the face, in which it appears we are... the thing is, EVERYONE needs to change. That means people need to loose the mindset that everything is okay... because it's not. A lot of people are saying it isn't... People who make their living off of taking people fishing are saying it's messed up.. If it wasn't would they be advertising it, as that would be the worst business model I have ever seen.

Not according to their leaders who post here... They made it clear they are a non-profit hahahahahahaha....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MWOLFE View Post
    Catch & kill = 100% dead fish. Catch & release = 94% live fish... Use common sense people. I guess using a condom would be the same as C & R... See, you can have it both ways.
    If she were your daughter you wouldn't want it both ways... Would 6% to you as a father in that scenario be acceptable?
    Point is, if you are fishing you are killing fish. Don't be hypocritical.
    Lets say I think the tournament is bad for the fish, but then I fish all year long, hooking 200 fish. Is wearing a condom any better?

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast