Descent Bait in OBX??
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Descent Bait in OBX??

Headed down for a few days later this week and if mother nature allows it hope to use up a few dozen hoos or two. Anyone have any suggestion on who has descent ballyhoo down that way?
    Last edited by jfish; 07-01-2013 at 04:47 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

There is a shortage of smalls I hear, and it is the whole east coast. I heard also that Pirate's Cove lost their freezers and all of the bait in them. There were a couple of mates from the OBX looking for bait in OCMD last weekend. LONG drive for bait...

JPK

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Sorry to stray a bit off topic here but do you think seawitches/ilanders rigged with sluggos or hogys would work? Maybe the old school strip bait? Possibly an all artificial spread with lots of chains and spreader bars? Seems like the fishing is so good down there right now you would crush them with a full spread of cedar plugs. Don't get me wrong ballys are my bait of choice as well but just curious how different artificials would would in that region.

Depending where you are coming from, I would buy it before going just to be sure. One place to look is Wall Mart. I live in Williamsburg and the Wall Mart here handles frozen bait in the sporting goods dept. I have purchased several dozen there in the past and it is good stuff. Just a thought.
    T-Bear

Quote Originally Posted by 23gulfstream View Post
    Sorry to stray a bit off topic here but do you think seawitches/ilanders rigged with sluggos or hogys would work? Maybe the old school strip bait? Possibly an all artificial spread with lots of chains and spreader bars? Seems like the fishing is so good down there right now you would crush them with a full spread of cedar plugs. Don't get me wrong ballys are my bait of choice as well but just curious how different artificials would would in that region.
    An all lure spread will definitely work, at least at times. Lots of times out of OCMD after a day of marlin fishing in the deep we switch from dinks and a big bait for a blue to green machines, jets, zukers and point the boat toward home, set it up for 8kts and square away the cockpit/grab a beer as we troll up the drop off and to the 50fa line. The number of times we get covered up is surprising since we just point the boat home and cross the drop off at the nearest spot. No spreader bars, no searching for bait, rips or slicks....

Also, I was thinking about weather an Illander or Express with a fake ballyhoo would work for a blue, to get around the natural bait/circle hook rule for tourneys. I think it would, but I have an idea for rigging a big bait behind an Illander or Express with a circle hook that I will try first.

JPK

Quote Originally Posted by JPK View Post
    An all lure spread will definitely work, at least at times. Lots of times out of OCMD after a day of marlin fishing in the deep we switch from dinks and a big bait for a blue to green machines, jets, zukers and point the boat toward home, set it up for 8kts and square away the cockpit/grab a beer as we troll up the drop off and to the 50fa line. The number of times we get covered up is surprising since we just point the boat home and cross the drop off at the nearest spot. No spreader bars, no searching for bait, rips or slicks....

Also, I was thinking about weather an Illander or Express with a fake ballyhoo would work for a blue, to get around the natural bait/circle hook rule for tourneys. I think it would, but I have an idea for rigging a big bait behind an Illander or Express with a circle hook that I will try first.

JPK
    Nice! And I totally agree. Hope everyone can secure some bait down there and the good fishing continues.

Just called T W s and they have bait they are not selling cases they are limiting to 4 or 5 packs they said they have about a 2 week supply, I hope they have it next week when I am down

OK so TW has some ..... OIFC, Teach's and HI have bait per phone calls this morning. There are some places running short on smalls but everyone I called had med at least.

My question was actually looking for "Good" bait but I am thinking I better just go with "Available" bait.

Someone above mentioned or asked about using plastic/rubber hoos behind Islanders etc... For what it's worth years ago when those fake hoos came out I rigged up a dozen and tried them several times. Even on days when the bite was on they failed to produce for me?? Can't say I ever tried "All" fake hoos in the spread at the same time but when there were several back there they never were picked. As far as lures trolled, sure some work some not so good. Of course the old stand by green machines and squids hold their own. As far as "Plugs" for Mahi it's hard to beat a Monka Lure. Has become my "Go To" lure when the bite is on and you need a fast recovery and want to save on bait.

Days Off from Work CHECK
    Boat fueled and ready CHECK
    Bait located CHECK
    Fishing Gear loaded, and ready CHECK
    Camper fixed and AC working CHECK
    Camp Site Reserved CHECK
    Weather .........................................? any ones guess.....??????

thanks for the info on bait down south.

Last I heard a few weeks ago, TWs had Baitmaster hoos, but were very proud of them and reflected it in the price. I would check brand before you go.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements