24' Privateer Rebuild - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
    TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Got a little bit of time to work on the boat today and was able to cut half of the stringers out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2465099756.jpg 
Views:	584 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	75962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-571463778.jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	75970  

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I'll be following this build as I have an older privateer that is going to need some deck work. I use the boat for commercial crabbing and fishing so it will probably be a winter or spring rebuild. You may want to check out the boat restoration forum at iboats.com, lots of good information there.

I have been slowly working on the boat between my other job and building a few custom rods I have finally ground down all the old stringers and starting to place the new stringers in getting ready to glass them into place I'm in the process of having a gas tank made and building a mold for my center console
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1889478419.jpg 
Views:	623 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	84706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2887084527.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	84714   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2829815864.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	395.1 KB 
ID:	84722  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-877091035.jpg 
Views:	658 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	84730  

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Make any more progress?

Hi, I was curious about any other boats similar to mine for sale (not looking to sell) so I did a search and found your posts. I have a 24 Privateer, 1983, had it since 1995. Have had quite a few other boats (bigger) but I find this one suits my needs best. I retired 2 years ago and moved to my home in the NNK on the lower Potomac, I fish a lot.

I paid someone in 1996 to replace the floor, new tank, cut the old foam out (it was filthy and held water). Did not replace it due to weight. Its a heavy hull. I also had good advice from Privateer. Have had 3 engines since 1996. Present is a 2010 Mercruiser 220 hp 4.3 V6 fuel injected with 700 hrs. Great on fuel and I cruise about 21 mph, top is about 30. Engine and stern drive weigh 1050 lbs.

Also had a new hard top installed in 2009 by Marine Fabricators in Topping, and new enclosure by that outfit in Deltaville. Its a GREAT boat. I do have some suggestions/questions relating to weight/balance. I'll try and add a few pics for you. Again, good for you on bring one of these old girls back to life.

Name:	DSC01259.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	107081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01259.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	107081

Okay, got a good pic posted (sorry there is a duplicate). When I put the the new floor in I considered switching to an O/B at that time with a Gil Bracket, but the cost was more than staying with a stern drive, was also advised the same by Privateer. The only problem I have now is that the scuppers are exactly on the water line so when I put it on/off the trailer I put plugs in. On speed, Privateer told me that I'd be about 20-30 mph with the stern drive, I'd be a little faster with a lighter O/B but in 1996 we mostly had the older 2 strokes. I would guess that you will be in the mid-upper 30's with your O/B especially since its a center console. BTW, these are wet boats. Any, would be happy to talk/email if you have any questions.

Mike

Default Ball Scuppers

Mike, I have an 18' Privateer with the scuppers exactly on the waterline. This is probably old information to you, but these boats were designed to be worked, where low gunnels help. The trade-off with that is the floor sits almost on the waterline, and after a lifetime they get a little heavier, resulting in low scuppers. Have you considered replacing your with the ball type, they should help for the intermittent problem. I just run mine with plugs in, and I have a bilge pump mounted on the deck in case I take any large amount of water. I can only pull my plugs while planing, or if I walk to the front. It will sit in a slip with the plugs out, but I don't trust it. When I do my floor I will probably leave 1' of the old floor around the perimeter, and add the new floor on top, hopefully resulting in the floor being 3/4" higher, and self draining. I may go even higher though.

Name:	IMG_20101114_111533.jpg 
Views:	1028 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	107121
    Last edited by NRGarrott; 02-20-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Added link and pictures

Thanks for the tips and I basically do the same as you do with the plugs. Mine is okay in a slip. They are great boats, I am really proud of mine and get a few compliments for it being a 31 yr old boat.

A little more progress has been made but once again sent out of town for work so stopped all work on the boat. I have ordered a new gunnel cap from Privateer and also a hard top from them. The gunnel cap has been made with the enclosed transom. The fuel tank has been bent and cut and all holes for the filler tube and pick ups have been cut it will be getting welded together in the next couple weeks. The console mold is coming along so that will be finished soon. We are working out the amount that the floor will be raised to accommodate the enclosed transom and bracket this is all information Privateer has given me for enclosing the transom and replacing the floor. As soon as I get some noticeable work done I will post more pictures.

Got my new gunnel cap and a fiberglass top just need to get home so I can go ahead and finish the stringers and floor.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	109945

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast