Does a Bushel Box = a Bushel Basket?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does a Bushel Box = a Bushel Basket?

I realize that card board boxes are cheaper than traditional Bushel Baskets, but do they hold the same amount of crabs?

The Bushel Box that my local crab place uses to give me my steamed crabs does not seem like it holds as much as a traditional bushel basket.

Is this some kind of an optical illusion?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

It would depend on the manufacturer of the box. I have obtained crab boxes from several places that do not equal a true bushel. The boxes in some cases even have 1 Bushel stamped on them. Some have a steamed crab printed on them. I have personaly proven that those boxes do not hold a bushel of crabs no matter how the crabs are placed inside.
    Know your seller. Not all boxes are created equal.
    Some are less equal than others.[sad]

[Q]POLECAT originally wrote:
    It would depend on the manufacturer of the box. I have obtained crab boxes from several places that do not equal a true bushel. The boxes in some cases even have 1 Bushel stamped on them. Some have a steamed crab printed on them. I have personaly proven that those boxes do not hold a bushel of crabs no matter how the crabs are placed inside.
    Know your seller. Not all boxes are created equal.
    Some are less equal than others.[sad]
    [/Q]

Jerry I was talking to this older lady who owns a crab shack down on the Northern Neck and she was telling me the exact same thing you are saying...I was interested in where she got her boxes because she was very adamant about the boxes....She was telling me that only small crabs will make a bushel. Once you get into the larger crabs they won't fit! A bushel is based on volume 2,150 cubic inches or 35 liters....if we put a trashbag in a bushel box it WILL hold 35 liters of liquid, thus the volume is the same...only difference is the corners that the box has and the bushel basket doesn't ......With all of that being said I guess the "bushel basket" is the perfect place to put the most crabs in the smallest space....Imagine that[grin]

Brian, you never know....even though those containers were oversized shipping containers they may only hold a bushel or less...for grins and giggles you should get an old shipping container from them and see how many mumbos it holds one day when you are treating yourself ....

Tony

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Mega-Jack
    It is not an optical illusion--
    If you take 1 full bushel basket of crabs live or steamed and try to place them in the 1 bushel box and close the lid, you will have 1-2 dozen crabs left over,depending on the size of the crabs,that is why many retail establishments buy crabs by the basket and sell crabs by the box!! 5 "bushel baskets" will = 6 "bushel boxes"

MegaJack...buy a bushel Basket (brand new) from RJ and next time you show up to buy a bushel from whoever bring the basket and tell them to put the crabs in "your" basket...... tell them it's brand new....never had live crabs in it.....
    Tony

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Don't make too big deal about it, a bushel is a volumetric measurement so as long as it hold the liquid volume it's legal. Although I agree 100% it seems wrong as he__. Might get a better deal from the same place if you were to buy them by the dozen instead of the bushel. 4 doz=their bushel. 4 Dozen would cost how much compared to their bushel cost??

If we fuss too much DNR might catch on and start carrying plastic bags and a bucket to measure the size of our bushels.[grin]

Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My business supports Tidal Fish

Could you envision what would happen if comm. crabbers began using those Bu. boxes instead of Bu. baskets to sell their catch to the wholesalers? That would be fun to watch.[grin]
    Likewise if the wholesalers delivered the crabs to the restaurants in Bu. boxes. Just think what the price of crabs would sky rocket to then.[sad]

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Y'all are too kind. I'd check the contents of one of those boxes using a bushel basket (at home after purchase), and if it didn't measure up, somebody else would get my business.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

One would think that a bushel is a bushel, but those boxes sure look smaller than a basket. I'll stick to catching my own crabs that way I know I'm getting a full bushel.

[Q]Antman40 originally wrote:

Brian, you never know....even though those containers were oversized shipping containers they may only hold a bushel or less...for grins and giggles you should get an old shipping container from them and see how many mumbos it holds one day when you are treating yourself ....

Tony

[/Q]

Tony, I did. That is how I found out that they hold up to 2 doz more. Biguns too! I was getting $150 for Jumbos and he was charging $66 to $70 a doz. Thought he was clever by trying to get me to use them. He would have made an extra $132 - $140. Slick rastard.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast