Tidal Fish Forum banner

New to the East Coast

3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Sato_SCR 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm located in Southern CA and regularly fish out of San Diego, Newport Beach and Dana Point for yellowtail, tuna, dorado and halibut. I've been building rods for about 6 years now, 4 years full time, and I'd like to find out what the East Coasters like as far as details like grips, seats, gimbals, and guides. I know e-glass blanks are popular over there because of the slower action but I'm really looking to find out what style of grips, seats and guides are popular over there.

On the west coast and in Texas, the rear grips on lighter rods for f/w and s/w bass are popular but I'm not sure if it's the same over on the East Coast or not. We like to put a decorative wrap in the split and most people like the split grip in the first place because they can feel the blank on their forearm. It helps with sensitivity quite a bit. I'm planning on fishing over there quite a bit next year as I have several relatives who live in MA, NJ, RI and NY. Any help with some details on what's popular would be much appreciated. For now I will post some pix of rods I've built with split grips that have custom wraps such as tiger wraps, abalone shell wraps, dragon scale wraps, photo wraps, etc.

Brent Ikari
owner, Sato Custom Rods LLC

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.