Good Information Breaking: Feds Take Down Tilghman Island Gill Netters - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2345 ... LastLast
    Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sailfish View Post
    Hmmmm , $500,000.00 of unreported income - wonder if IRS is aware of this ?
    Easy there Mr. Ness...

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Gee it is simple---- if a recreational angler takes 2 fish over what is allowed---and there are so many more R Anglers than Commercial Anglers, then the impact is significant. Reverse that and some greedy jerk cheats with G-Nets it is also significant. The long debate never changes--we depending on who we are blindley stick to their guns. Rockfish like all resources are finite !!! What I am sick of is the turf wars over a limited resource----and jerks no matter what side of the question. Lets learn to ------------poop if you can"t figure it out then buy Tilapia or go to Court

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Either group does have a huge impact from poachers. Recs are doing just as much or even more damage just because of our huge numbers. I think this instance was wrong and its good they got caught. but what I thought was funny is how the CCA made a huge press release and said they would be working on it through the night. the CCA is against legal gill netting. that's why they are so excited about this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake rock View Post
    The CCA is against legal gill netting. that's why they are so excited about this.
    Which they should be. No problem there. I've lived through the before and after of a gill net ban and the effects it has on a fishery. It would be an absolute joke if the CCA WAS NOT in support of a gill net ban.

The effects of gillnetting is tiny compared to the effects of recreational fishing.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The effects of gillnetting is tiny compared to the effects of recreational fishing.
    Then everyone should gillnet...

Quote Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
    Then everyone should gillnet...
    No. people that want to fish recreationally should be able to also. but they shouldn't pass judgment on other methods that are doing less harm then we are

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

No. people that want to fish recreationally should be able to also. but they shouldn't pass judgment on other methods that are doing less harm then we are
    Chesapeake Rock,

I respect your views, but the only judgement being passed on this thread is about 4 guys in a couple boats killing almost 186K lbs of stripers (almost 93 tons worth a half million dollars wholesale) that were not reported to authorities and therefore were not accounted for under the commercial sector harvest allocation. I am outraged by any and all poaching, and I have never "passed judgement" on all commercial fishermen because of the actions of a few outlaws. Other commercial fishermen are at least as outraged as the recs because the outlaw gillnetters are giving all commercial gillnetters a bad name and the actions of the outlaws are helping to support calls to end the use of gillnets in MD waters. Inshore gillnets are already prohibited in state waters by most (all?) Atlantic states south of NC.

I posted a link early in this thread about the recreational fishing charter vessel owners that were cited and convicted under the Lacy act for illegal harvest of stripers in the US EEZ. Yes the outrage about the rec busts was a bit muted on tidalfish compared to this instance where a few commercial fishermen flagrantly violated the law by fishing with a lot of anchored and non-tended gillnet, but that is partly because most reasonable people recognize the potential for a few outlaws with gillnets to poach thousands of fish in a short time.

When comparing the potential environmental harm of rec hook and line vs commercial gill nets, the amount of bycatch and the diversity of bycatch by gill nets is orders of magnitude greater than hook and line fishing. Marine mammals, sea turtles, sea birds, waterfowl, and non-target fin fish are all captured and killed in gill nets--it is a well recognized scientific fact that gill nets are highly efficient at catching target species and that they indiscriminately kill many types of marine life besides the target species.

No, no it's not. And it's not even close. And the best case study is a state (Florida) in which recreational fishing is significantly more popular than Maryland.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

So, it sounds like some are advocating that the industrial poaching get a pass because a lot of recs do it as well? Why not put them all under the jail? Seems to me poaching is poaching, 100,000 fish illegally taken do not care what kind of license(if any) the thief holds, or if they are taken 2 at a time or in one massive haul.
    Pat in Joppa

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2345 ... LastLast