Removing heating oil
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Removing heating oil

I have old heating oil (maybe 30 years old) in a tank. How do I dispose of it, or is there a way to clean and burn it?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

30 years old I would pump it out and get rid of it. most goes bad 6 months to a year without adding add. to it. it woud not be worth the headache and the chance of messing up the heater trying to save a penny. I went to lowes and got a elec. pump and pumped out my tank in the ground into 55 gallon drums ..

Thanks for the info. How did you dispose of the drums? The county dump will only take about 5 gallons at a time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

If it can be burned in a shop waste oil heater someone might want it. Ask around or on the main boards

the water will be on the bottom of the tank and the oil will lay on the top side. I pumped my from the bottom and got the water out first and when it came out heating oil I put it in another drum and took it to the shop for them to burn along with motor oil.

I did see on craigslist a guy in Virginia beach area will come pump it out and take it for free plus the tank...

I've been watching craigslist for a waste oil heater. I may get a hand pump and run it through a couple of filters and pump back into my other oil tank. From what I understand heating oil doesn't really go bad. Just may pick up water and contaminates that I hope the filters will catch.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

At $4.20 per gallon, that might be a wise idea....... Gary

look for some diesel fuel treatment will help you out with the water in the take. when you put it out start at the bottom of the tank. all the water will lay on the bottom and the oil will be on the top.. good luck with it.

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements