Tidal Fish Forum banner

Removing heating oil

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  tg2469 
#1 ·
I have old heating oil (maybe 30 years old) in a tank. How do I dispose of it, or is there a way to clean and burn it?

Thanks

#2 ·
30 years old I would pump it out and get rid of it. most goes bad 6 months to a year without adding add. to it. it woud not be worth the headache and the chance of messing up the heater trying to save a penny. I went to lowes and got a elec. pump and pumped out my tank in the ground into 55 gallon drums ..

#5 ·
the water will be on the bottom of the tank and the oil will lay on the top side. I pumped my from the bottom and got the water out first and when it came out heating oil I put it in another drum and took it to the shop for them to burn along with motor oil.

#7 ·
I've been watching craigslist for a waste oil heater. I may get a hand pump and run it through a couple of filters and pump back into my other oil tank. From what I understand heating oil doesn't really go bad. Just may pick up water and contaminates that I hope the filters will catch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.