Tidal Fish Forum banner

Tola, Nicaragua

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Benjamin.Peden 
#1 ·
I'll be heading into Nicaragua for the first week of March and am looking to go fishing. Offshore or inshore or out of lake Managua. Any recommendations for charters, captains, marinas, gear to bring is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ben

#2 ·
I've fished the NW part of Costa Rica - not too far south of border.

We trolled with fresh ballyhoo and Rapala CD - 14. These are expensive and tough to find for locals.

I hit up local stores and take down a dozen or so. Sports Authority / Dicks / Wal Mart / etc all worth checking - as well as real fishing shops. Purple / black or red / white seem to be favorites. Crazy thing was at end of day - mate cut lures off to give back to me. I did not know " gift " in Spanish but put in his hand and he got idea.

I gave some other captains 2-3 later on.

I'll bet same lures will work offshore where you are going.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. We went out of Costa Rica last year and experienced the same thing. We trolled some terrible lures and not much luck, so we asked to try a few of ours that we brought. After catching a couple small roosters inshore we let them keep the lures. We also hooked up with a nice mahi while shortly trolling out to some snapper grounds. We weren't in a area known for fishing so I think that didn't help. I'll be brining extra lures for the Nicaragua trip in case we end up fishing out of a panga again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.