Tidal Fish Forum banner

New Truck/Best Milage

13K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Capt.Nick 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a new Truck.Dodge/Ford/Chevy.From what I've read,the Dodge V6-365 hp.-8 speed Trans delivers the best Mielage 28mpg.Now I've never got what is claimed on milage on the 4 new full sized trucks I've bought and 28 seems mighty questionable to me but I was wondering if anyone has a recent V6 and what milage you're getting.

#2 ·
After looking at the trucks,I bought a new F150.The V6 Dodge claims 25 mpg hwy /17 city w/8 speed trans.The Ford V6 6speed trans.claims 17 city/ 23 hwy.I just bought it yesterday for my wife,so I don't know how close these figures will be.The V6 is as peppy as my Dodge Ram 4.7 V8 4x4.I get 15mi. hwy and 12-13 around town with the Dodge Ram.I lost 2 mi. per gal. when we switched to ethonal 10% on all my vehicles years ago.More money for fuel/less mpg.The reason I'm posing this is about the fuel type claims on the sticker.Driving range( 26gal.tank.)It claims,494 miles 'gasoline" does this mean "non ethonal gasoline"?Then it reads,364 miles per tank with ethonal (E-85) We aren't required to use that yet but if we do,there will be another bigger loss(approx. 25 %?) in mpg and we know what it will do to marine engines.Imagine having a 25% decrease in mpg on your boat if that happens + the other mechanical problems.Getting back to the mpg between 'gasoline' vs E85 I have a feeling this means that the MPG stated on the sticker means what you would get if you're using "gasoline" and not E90 or 10% ethonal,like most of us are forced to buy?In other words,we won't realize these "technically ficticious" milage ratings using E10 fuel?Do I have this correct?

#3 ·
28MPG on the Ram is the new Eco-Diesel. You ain't gonna get that on a gasser.

BTW, I've found it's easy to hit EPA MPG estimates with a diesel motor..... Gas ... I'm usually below the EPA estimate.

From the EPA:

"EPA fuel economy tests are conducted according to Federal testing regulations which require 100 percent gasoline. These regulations could be changed, but changing them would be somewhat problematic. While it is common for gasoline pumps to allow for up to 10 percent ethanol, the actual amount of ethanol blended into the gasoline varies greatly, and fuel blending requirements vary by state. Changing the test methods would also make it difficult to compare vehicles tested with ethanol blends with those tested with straight gasoline. So, without a national standard for blended regular gasoline and a Federal mandate to change the test fuel used, the EPA will not change the test fuel."

How the EPA tests vehicles: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

#4 ·
That's exactly what I was thinking when I noticed they were using 2 terms "Gasoline" and "E85".Heavy population density areas use E 90 and I don't know where you could buy E85 on the East Coast even if you wanted it?That makes the test results very vague for most buyers.Stated"The EPA will not change the test fuel",but a low percentage of drivers can't even buy gasoline(as many of us once new it),but that's what the BOLD PRINT 17city/25 hwy reads on the sticker (gasoline test results)not E90 results.My thought is that the EPA doesn't want vehicle owners to know the truth ,so they weaseled out of it by using the phrase"there's no national standard for blended gasoline"so we won't change it.If there's no standard,why are they using test results of E85?They forgot to mention that on the new vehicle stickers milage ratings.They should atleast rate the results of E90/10% Ethonol along with the other 2 results "Gasoline /E85"since that's what alot of drivers use today.Unless....they're planning to force E85 on us very soon.That would be my guess why they aren't showing results of E90?BTW my truck also says flex fuel capable...meaning it will run on E85.That tells me something too.So...for those of you that are getting 20mpg now on "gasoline" you could be getting 15mpg if "E85 "becomes the standard fuel.A 25% loss in fuel economy.Just a thought of what I think is coming.

#9 ·
I'm getting 2 differen't stories on the internet about E-85 one is it's 15% ethonal,the other states it's 85% ethonal?.Hopefully the stock market Gurus are wrong on this ... they're saying If things heat up in Iraq, oil could go to $150 a barrel and fuel could hit $6-7 a gal.?Of course if that happens,everything else goes up through shipping costs as well?Hopefully they're wrong.

#10 ·
First tank on the Ford crew cab V-6.Around town with air & hard Tonneau 17mpg.They say if you open the windows you get less milage than with air conditioning on because of wind drag.Same without tonneau.

#11 ·
http://www.driveclean.ca.gov/Search...es_and_Fuel_Types/Ethanol_(E85)_Flex_Fuel.php

Ethanol (E85) Flex Fuel
View Ethanol (E85) Flex Fuel Vehicles >

Background
Ethanol is mostly used in flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs) which are capable of operating on gasoline, E85 (85% ethanol, 15% gasoline), or a mixture of both. E85 should only be used in ethanol-capable FFVs. E85 has about 30% less energy per gallon so the fuel efficiency of a FFV running on ethanol will be 30% less than when it is running on gasoline.

How It Works
Ethanol is an alcohol made primarily from corn. Because ethanol is derived from feedstock that is grown, it is considered a renewable fuel. In addition, since the feedstock for ethanol can be domestically produced, it reduces the nation's dependence on foreign oil.

#12 ·
I'm getting 20 mpg. on the highway with the ac on at 60-70 mph. on road trips.The manual says that for every 400 # of loaded cargo you will lose 1mpg.I considered a diesel but they're about $15 k more.I won't use $15k in gas as long as I'll own the truck. That's like getting my gas for free for the life of the truck compared to buying a diesel for extra mileage the way I see it.It tows 7500 # and that's more than enough for me. It all depends on what you need. I'll see what I get this fall without the ac on. I'm pretty happy with those numbers for a full sized pick up truck with 4 door and back seat.2014 F150 eco boost 3.5 6cyl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.