bunker spoons spinning in a circle....
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default bunker spoons spinning in a circle....

I was trolling some spoons and as reeled a line in I noticed the spoon was spinning in about a 1 ft circle. My rig was a snap swivel at the end of my reel line, attached to the inline trolling sinkers. Then my leader is attached to the sinkers and is about 15 ft long with a swivel in the middle and at the end is a snap swivel attached to the split ring on the spoon. A retired Capt said the swivels are the problem and said to get rid of them. He said to tie the sinkers directly to my reel line and then tie my leader to the sinkers and the split ring, but do so without a loop at the split ring. I was always told and read that you need a loop at the split ring or your lure will trail straight as an arrow. That the loop allows the lure the needed movement to entice a strike.

Has anyone ever had a problem like this and if so how did you fix it? Thank you, Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Spoons will spin sometimes if you troll or reel them too fast. Usually depends on the spoon type. I've always trolled using swivels, which are primarily to reduce line twist and never had that problem. Only time I've used a loop knot at the spoon was when there was no ring. You don't need both. The pivot point is the split ring. As long as it's sized appropriately for the spoon, meaning it fits the hole without binding & is large enough to move freely, the spoon should still wobble. If it binds it could probably cause what you've experienced. Spoons such as a Tony come with a ring, and I'll use a swivel, the Jensen Krocodile come with a swivel on the front end already attached. IMO, it's best not to remove them. Just make sure the swivel isn't binding inside.

Thank you for your advice. I was trolling about 3.5 to 4.0 MPH in the ocean. I will slow down a little more if I can. I'll post how it works.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Hey hippie, what type of spoons are you using? The only big ones I've ever used was the 21 Tony Accetta. If you're using those big, wide spoons like a Tony Maja, they have a very wide wobble to them to begin with. I've fished with some folks who used them but never have myself.

You can visit the Maja website & they have some video's on there that might help you. Good info there, even if you don't use their spoons. When I've used the bigger spoons, the leader is usually about 30 ft long with an inline sinker, or we've used a 3 way rig with a dropper for the sinker & used a bank sinker for weight. This is like a bottom bouncer rig & the leader is shorter, about 15 ft. Also, the swivels are always ball bearing types, which when working properly move more freely than the crane or barrel swivels. They're also more expensive, but IMO worth the extra cost.

http://tonymajaproducts.com/product-...-bunker-spoons

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SPRO-...2551427&rid=20

BigJim, I have two brands of spoons. I have 19 and 21 Tony Acetas and the same size in Crippled Alwives. I was using the Crippled Alwive when this occured. I had ball bearing swivels on the leader. I will try staying with my snap swivel on the end of my reel line. As for the leader, I'll put a loop (Rapala knot or double overhand knot) in the end and attach it to the snap swivel. The other end will get snelled to the split ring on the spoon. I'll make the leader about 15 ft long without any swivel in the middle. Any sinkers will get attached to the reel line snap swivel and then the looped leader end to them. Does this sound good to you? If not please tell me. Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Thank you, Bob
    Last edited by hippie; 11-01-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Bob, it sounds like it should be fine to me. If everything is free to move, the spoon should perform as designed, unless you're moving too fast. I don't really know how fast I've trolled them, just fast enough to make them wobble.

IMO, it's entirely possible you had something bind that one time. I've had it happen with the coast lock swivels, then re-set & all would be good. Nothing is perfect.

One more thought that I got from that Maja site. If a spoon is bent, it will not wobble as it should. But, if it's not, it won't & that would be a issue no matter what you try. I've got a few spoons that have been beat up, but still seem to wobble just fine.

Are you using trailer hooks on your spoons? They'll bind something too. Best you can do is re-set & try it again!

Tight Lines!
    Jim

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Bob - Some of the newer Tonys are thinner and do not seem to swim as good as the older ones. Luhr Jenson bought Tony Accetta few years ago and changed the metal used.

The older ones are sometimes for sale ( used ) at fishing flea markets. Easy to clean them up.

The Cripple Alewive in 11/0 or 13/0 size is little easier to pull than Tony # 19 or # 21. The Tonys like it under 3.5 knots.

Key with any of the bigger spoons is the rod action. Most guys use a 6 to 7 footer - the pros use custom 8-9 footers. The rod needs a limber tip to allow spoon to pull against it - too stiff rod yanks spoon through water.

The Tony # 21 has a cool action - it will wobble 2-3 times , then flip over - when speed is right. The rod tip will go bounce , bounce , bounce , DIP - then repeat. If your crew jumps at rod a lot - speed is perfect.

If it just bounces steadily - likely too fast by 1/2 to 1 knot.

It pays to watch spoon beside ( not in prop wash ) of boat to gauge its action. Adjust throttle until it looks right / alive.

If you really get into spoons - wire line is way to pull them. Braid is close second , mono a distance last choice.

I like a long 30 foot leader. Starts with ball bearing snap swivel at weight - 20 feet - ball bearing swivel ( fat end towards rod ) - then 10 feet. I tie spoon direct to added second split ring.

I use ball bearing snap swivel from rod as well - makes it simple to change in line weights. I prefer to use a three way swivel and drop a 4-24 oz MoJo on 6 foot leader as my " weight ". It often catches fish - something my in line weight never does. IMHO - also allows spoon to swim better.

Keep hooks extra sharp - often Rock grab spoon by front ( head ) and hook will grab into outside jaw that is very tough.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Luhr Jenson bought Tony Accetta few years ago and changed the metal used.
    Yep & now Rapala owns Luhr Jensen & Tony Accetta so hard to tell how much they're changing things!

Good info Skip!

I have to say thank you to all who replied. You men have a lot of good ideas. I do like the idea of putting a 6 ft drop leader down to a Mojo. That way I can actually tell how deep the rig is because the weight of a Mojo should take it straight down. Now on the spoon leader, do I need a swivel in the middle or last third of that line? Also I don't think I'll need to watch for the tip bouncing because of the weight of this setup, I'll need to use my "broom sticks". Thank you all again, Bob

12. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements