I actually won something for once...my office's annual Chili Cook Off. And I have a lovely and much-coveted certificate suitable for framing to prove it And a demand by my boss that I bring it again next year.

I wanted to make a fish-based chili, but couldn't really find a recipe that had it all. So I made a chili inspired by about 5 different seafood chili recipes. It was great.

Ingredients:
2 bags navy beans (or other small white beans...Great Northerns, cannellini, etc.)
2 boxes (32 oz each) fish stock and/or clam or lobster juice (this is the key ingredient
2-4 pounds frozen firm white fish (I used black sea bass , but cod, halibut or turbot would be more normal
2-3 large sweet onions
Jalapeno peppers (many as you want)
Cooking oil or butter
large can crushed tomatoes (do not drain)
Any other veggies you like in chili: canned corn, celery, etc.
Old Bay (of course); 4 tablespoons (adjust to taste,
Other spices: chili powder, Korean garlic-chili paste, hot sauce, crushed garlic, black pepper, sea salt...whatever strikes your fancy

Instructions:

1) soak beans overnight in water. Change water several times (cuts down on farting)
2) drain beans
3) chop onions and peppers into small pieces. In a large stock pot saute in oil or butter until onions are clear.
4) cut frozen fish into bite sized
4) Add beans to onions & peppers in pot. Cover beans with fish stock and/or clam/lobster juice
5) bring to boil, lower heat and simmer gently until beans are well done (~1,5 to 2 hours, depending on size of beans). DO NOT DRAIN. cover pot with lid
6) When beans are done, remove some stock if it is too watery. You will add more (with tomatoes), and this is the time to take out any excess).
7) add can of crushed tomatoes with juice, crushed garlic, any other veggies you like in chili, and all the spices. cook on low for ~1/2 hour, stirring occasionally. The chili needs to be boiling gently for the next step.
8) gently add cut frozen fish to pot. Stir gently so fish is mixed througout.
9) cook gently on low for ~10 minutes, depending on thickness of fish. This is just enough time to cook the fish in the midst of the chili.

Enjoy!