Gamefish status for Stripers????? - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Gamefish status for Stripers?????

[Q]J Keeler originally wrote:
    Here is an article featured in a report by NAFC.

Legislation Would Give Coastal Stripers Gamefish Protection

WASHINGTON, D.C.—New legislation recently introduced by New Jersey Democratic Rep. Frank Pallone would make the striped bass a federal gamefish and ban commercial harvest in Atlantic coastal waters and in federal waters up to 12 miles offshore.

“The Atlantic striped bass is a valuable resource along the East Coast and is one of the most important fisheries for recreational anglers in New Jersey,” Pallone says.

The legislation would in effect allow only recreational fishing in the fish’s native range. New Jersey is one of six states along the Atlantic Coast that already classify striped bass as a gamefish.

While introducing the legislation to Congress, Pallone cited a study, titled “The Economics of Recreational and Commercial Striped Bass Fishing,” commissioned earlier this year by Stripers Forever. It concluded that if commercial striper fishing was eliminated, future recreational harvest levels would produce greater economic returns because, “fish captured by the recreational sector are far more valuable on a per-pound basis than when harvested commercially.”

Officials estimate approximately 14,400 new jobs and a $1.79 billion increase in economic value would be added to the U.S. economy if striped bass are given gamefish status coast-wide.

Maybe Menhaden should also be given "Gamefish Status"

[grin][grin]
    [/Q]

John

You forgot to mention that Rep. Pallone has introduced this bill numerous times before. Never gets out of committee.[grin][grin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber Megabyte's Avatar

[Q]J Keeler originally wrote:
    Maybe Menhaden should also be given "Gamefish Status"
    [/Q]

Gamefish status for the preditor as well as the prey.
    Works for me. [grin]

[q] Officials estimate approximately 14,400 new jobs and a $1.79 billion increase in economic value would be added to the U.S. economy if striped bass are given gamefish status coast-wide.

[/q]
    ------Pray tell, Someone please tell me!

---WHO are the Officals are?
    ---WHY 14,400 jobs & not just 14,000--Who are the 400
    ---Name the type of jobs that would be created if this status was passed---

-----There MUST be a reason, for a New Jersey REP. to want infringe on state laws as to the status of striped bass--

---Shurely, there is a underlying MOTIVE, that would benifit his great state of New Jersey----ROB from PETER to pay PAUL, has been proven countless times to be un American--

--Can his record show previous great bills he sponsered & got passed that benifited this Nation of ours--Can he show reason in a time of National Security why he would consider curtailing the WATCHDOGS of the coast, the commercial fisherman--Men & Women that work Daily, regardless of weather & conditions, AW SHUCKS --go ahead I may get the 14,399 job ----[shy][shy]

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks to all that took the time to read this post and reply.

We should be getting used to the feeling of smoke being blown up our a$$e$. [grin][grin]

Tight lines,

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Would this mean no rockfish in resturants or fish markets? Or can we start selling our extras?

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

[Q]T27 originally wrote:
    Would this mean no rockfish in resturants or fish markets? Or can we start selling our extras?
    [/Q]

This is the one problem I have with legislated "gamefish status". It means that recreational fishermen are the only people who get to enjoy the fish...wich can lead to a weaker connection to the environment with the average joe. Dangerous tradeoff because we need everyone in the 64,000 square mile watershed to feel connected enough to the bay to want to protect it.

[Q]ZAM originally wrote:
    you have to remember that those "officails estimates" are commissioned by Stripers Forever, so it may be a little biased[wink]
    [/Q]

That is the biggest load of unsubstantiated BS I have ever seen on this board. Do you know anything at all about Southwick Associates Inc? If they gave biased results on any study, they wouldn't have a company.

Company Overview

Southwick Associates, Inc. specializes in fish, wildlife and natural resource economics. Southwick Associates was founded in 1990 to provide economic and business intelligence to Federal and state agencies, as well as industry. Our staff is comprised of economics and statistics professionals throughout the U.S. who have in-depth experience measuring the values, benefits and revenues possible from fish, wildlife, forests and water-related natural resources.

Southwick Associates provides an array of socio-economic specialties. We are experienced in communicating complex economic issues to the public and specific user groups, in a manner that is simple, interesting and informative. We can help clients better address many legal, legislative and public communication issues through the practical application of reliable and accurate economic information.

Specifically, we can:
    -Develop economic models explaining the level of jobs, tax revenues, and paychecks
    created by people using fish, wildlife and other natural resources;
    -Survey the public regarding the personal importance and values they hold for wildlife,
    or the negative values associated with overpopulated and problem wildlife;
    -Quantify the potential business or tax revenues that could be generated by various plans utilizing fish, wildlife
    and natural resources, and identifying the markets where new revenues can be generated; and
    -Build statistical models that explain the relationships between people's actions and the impacts on fish,
    wildlife and recreation.
    -Examples include models produced for the U.S. Coast Guard that explain which variables have the greatest
    effects on boat accidents, and other models that project fishing and hunting license sales and revenues.

Finally, I suggest actually reading the study. Page 2 of the overview answers most of the questions TF members are asking. Go to
    http://www.stripersforever.com Click on the "Southwick Study".....read either the full study or the overview. See for yourself if it makes sense.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I'm for making it a game fish. Like trout, if commercial interests wish to harvest stripers, they can be raised in captivity. I think stripersforever.com is an organization supporting making it a game fish. Maybe the grassroots lobbying will make it happen.
    Shawn

[q]Fishing is not a contest or competition. Fishing is solitude, comradeship and an endless source of delight
    and an act of small rebellion because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or
    bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience.
    Travers.....

-------Onemorecast---Well said,-- I believe many commercial fishermen feel the same way, thier Solitude,Comradship, & Endless delight is the use of diffrent methods--A Fisherman Is a Fisherman----Weather you fish with a fly rod or a net,-- Who in thier right mind would fish in the dead of winter, surounded by ice flows , freezing winds & dangerous conditions---Fishermen---Just like the rest of us

-----I personaly, dont like seeing pound nets fishing fishing 24/7--Thier compeating with me, for the same species im trying to catch, But I have Always respected the fact that they too are licenced Fishermen like myself to fish this great body of water called the Chesapeake Bay---

----Maryland has in the past & present been a Pathfinder in fishery managment---Strict reporting of catches by Maryland commercial & charter groups give more info. than ANY OTHER STATE on the eastern seaboard---

---I personally don't want the federal government to infringe on State fisheries---State control & Federal guidelines are working to Insure proper allacations to ALL user groups ---Maryland has followed a working guideline, for years---warm weather --Sportfishing ----cold weather --Netters ----To me its been a good plan--OH WELL----

----[shy]

Just a quick thought on this,
    Redfish and snook are designated gamefish, how many people dream of going to places like Florida and Texas to target these fish? How many people dream of coming to the Chesapeake for stripers? I imagine far fewer plan on a Chesapeake striper vacation than a Florida redfish trip, the main reason being the abundance of good fish. So bring on Gamefish status.

If it was up to me, MD would also increase the size limit to 24", blasphemy I know, but I think doing that would only enhance the fishing in the Bay.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast