What to use to seal this crack?
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Default What to use to seal this crack?

What is best to use to seal this crack. It is about 15 FT long and only 1/16th to 1/8th wide. I was thinking something like laytex chalking you use around bath tub. Here is a picture of it.Attachment 169418

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Andy,
    If it was mine to do, I would take a grinder with a diamond blade and straighten and widen the joint to 1/4" to 3/8" wide. If the crack is only 1/16 to and 1/8, you will not get enough caulking material in there for good adhesion. I think DAP makes a concrete/ mortar crack caulk which should work just fine.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I used to do concrete construction at one time and agree with 3400 SS. Rent a concrete saw & carefully cut along that crack to both widen it & deepen it. You should be able to set the depth, so make it about an inch. The width will be whatever the blade width is, which will be fine. If you have access to an air compressor, blow out along the cut afterwards to remove the loose particles.

Dap & Loctite both make a Polyurethane Concrete joint & crack sealant. Polyurethane is more expensive than latex based sealants, but will last longer, will seal the joint & expand with the joint. Latex will shrink, eventually dry out & crack, and won't keep the crack sealed.

Be sure you get the sealant down into the crack, not just on the surface.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements