Sad News No reports
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: No reports

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default No reports

Saddened to see there are no reports, spats or other types of posts over the entire weekend. If I didn't know better I would say the site was down for maintenance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Just a sign of the times I guess. I can cruise by the boats fishing for Cobia and it looks like a Walmart parking lot - but zero reports. Now a days, the best source of intel may be your local fishing club. https://northernneckanglersclub.wordpress.com/ . NNAC meetings and member networking has been one of my best resources.

Thanks BayViews...that's a great recommendation. Gonna fish anyhow with or w/o any reports because it keeps me partially sane. There is truth in the fact that alerting the "planes" is not a great idea.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

I fished Friday and Sunday. All the small to medium 10-12" croaker you want and lots of throw backs. Found a school of small perch also, none big enough for me but had a fish soon as bait hit bottom so it was fun for a while. Caught a couple cats also.
    There has also been a couple schools of rockfish hanging around that are fun to watch breaking the surface eating minnows.
    Hope this helps

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I got nothing , I didn't get out last weekend. Sad but true. This weekend I will probably look around with some trolling gear and possible drag a few flounder baits. The "parking lot " is full and the retards in sail boats talking about what they had for lunch and running over everyone has gotten old.

Drown live croaker and spot on WM Bar Sunday for 4 hours with nothing to show for it. Dragged Spaniard Rigs out and around 2R and nothing there either. Buddy saw a large sea turtle and we crossed back through several large pods of bottlenose dolphin on our way back to the river.

Saw a nice 44 pounder at the marina caught by sight fishing compadre.

That's it from moi!

Ricochet

And all of you are folks that share and mean well with your reports, thanks for that! Don't get what's up with the Spanish...here one minute and gone the next, still may be a mite early.

Didn't get out last week either, except for a few cast on the jet ski which resulted in nada. Starting Thursday going to follow the cobia north one day and look for the red drum releases that are being caught while trolling for the mackerals. Will follow up on results.

Pepsi Man

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bluefish1 View Post
    And all of you are folks that share and mean well with your reports, thanks for that! Don't get what's up with the Spanish...here one minute and gone the next, still may be a mite early.
    I know it sounds old to some supporters of omega.. But recently Omega has been working the mouth of bay HARD. IMHO the lack in numbers of Spanish is direct result!
    Here is recent read...

Charter boat captains: Commercial menhaden operations hurt business

By Lee Tolliver
    The Virginian-Pilot
    July 9, 2015Charter boat captains the past couple of years have found a niche fishery along the coast that has helped fill the void caused by a decline in offshore trips for marlin and tuna.

But in the past week, that inshore fishery has come to a screeching halt, and captains are pointing fingers at commercial menhaden fishing operations.
    Companies such as Omega Protein debunk that theory in a continuation of a decades-long conflict between recreation anglers and the menhaden industry. The latest difference of opinion includes a petition to Gov. Terry McAuliffe and a Facebook page entitled "End Menhaden Fishing in Virginia."
    The root of the debate is a small oily fish found along the coast and in the Gulf of Mexico. Menhaden is used by Texas-based Omega to produce Omega 3 supplements and pet food. The fish also is a filter feeder that helps keep waters clean and a vital early part of the game-fish food chain.

Fishing for menhaden often leaves thousands of dead fish floating on the surface and lines of foam and fish scales left from separating the fish from the water.

When the nets scoop up thousands of menhaden, the bluefish and mackerel that were feeding on them are either caught as a bycatch or move on to find other schools of menhaden to feed on. Sometimes, it takes months for angling to get back to normal after a menhaden operation, captains said.
    It also attracts big sharks to the tide line, where dead fish and foam get caught.

Charter captains had been keeping busy by offering four- and five-hour coastal trips fishing for bluefish and Spanish mackerel, often using the fish as bait for quick shark-fishing trips a couple of miles off the beach. The trips have been a huge hit with tourists.

"They're perfect first-time family trips and the sharks add an exciting element for tourists," said Trick Standing, captain of the Git-R-Done out of the Virginia Beach Fishing Center. "But since the menhaden boats were here Monday, it's gone from great to zero.

It's horrible. There's nothing there right now."

Omega officials on Wednesday acknowledged that their boats had been off Virginia Beach this week.

"We've given ourselves a self-imposed half-mile limit from the coast and with Virginia Beach in particular we try to stay away," said Monty Deihl, the director of fishing plant operations in Reedville. "We'll only go there if we can't find anything anywhere else.

"This is the first time we've been off Virginia Beach this year."

Omega operates in the state's reduction fishery for menhaden and has an annual quota of approximately 315 million pounds. A reduction fishery reduces the whole fish to other usable products.

Other menhaden operations that catch fish for bait have their own quotas. Omega's Reedville operation is the only menhaden reduction fishery allowed on the East Coast.

Federal fisheries managers have stated that the East Coast stock is in good shape, but local captains disagree.

"Our fishing goes to crap after they set up," said David Wright, captain of the High Hopes. "Everything we're fishing for follows the bait around. They come in and now there's nothing. Fishing is lousy after they wipe out everything."

Menhaden is the only fishery in Virginia not regulated by the Virginia Marine Resources Commission. Instead, it is governed by the Virginia General Assembly - a point that also does not sit well with the recreational angling community.

But Omega said it operates within the law and reports all fish overflow from the nets.

"We have VMRC people at our docks every day inspecting our catch," Deihl said. "We've had two incidents this year and the bait fishery has had two bad ones that we tried to help with. "We are in contact with VMRC whenever there is a spill and try to be as open as possible."

Omega also contracts with a Norfolk environmental company that handles spills that reach the beach. "There's a lot of false rhetoric going on out there and it's too bad," Deihl said. "We're only allowed to take a small percentage of what's out there and there are huge biomasses."

Standing wants to see Virginia Beach officials and the state come together with anglers to figure out a solution. "Some sort of medium like an exclusion zone along the oceanfront," he said. "Some way to protect us from the damage they do to our industry when they fish. "I don't want to put anybody out of business, but..."

Added Wright: "I'm pro commercial and have my licenses. But our small charter fleet has never been protected from what happens to us after they come through. "Something needs to be done."

Lee Tolliver, 757-222-5844, [email protected]
    Twitter at @LeeTolliver

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

do not let Omega"s play on words fool you. They have been fishing the mouth of bay HARD. It may not be what they consider Va beach. ( Because the immediate area they fish has no sand beach?-- who know what word play their lawyers have)
    There may be a huge" BIOMASS" but it is not in Va waters. ( in other waters- because other states have stopped the destruction)
    The small percentage they say they take, is from this overall "biomass" . So, it is really a LARGE percentage in a small area compared to overall area.

IF there REALLY was a "huge biomass" in the waters they fish,,,,, they would not have need to say "We'll only go there if we can't find anything anywhere else.

BTW, I would be out there right now looking for spanish,, but Higher winds than I like.. Maybe this afternoon.
    Last edited by HeyCharlie; 07-14-2015 at 08:55 AM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast