Fishing Report South of Breezy.... Way South on the New Boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default South of Breezy.... Way South on the New Boat

Hello fellow tfers, I haven't posted in awhile due to not owning a boat for over an year growing family and trying to be responsible. Any how I picked up an older (88) 25' Grady White Trophy Pro with twin 200 yamahas, the motors are 97's with only 400 hours. Anyhow the last 2 months I been running her some, fixing things and taking long boat rides with not a whole lot of catching.

So this past Saturday I got a few buddies together and ran out of breezy. I wasn't hearing many reports out front so I decided to run South, for 1 to beat the crowds to the North and the storm that was headed towards the Annapolis. So we rand down to gas docks not much going on there, so made the decision to pick up and run further South I was a few miles south of Hoopers Island light and put out the spread of orange hoses and spoons on light trolling rods and trolled for an hour or so with not much going on had a thought of running even further South but already 30 miles from port I felt that was far enough for bluefish, we're not talking tuna here. So I spent some time looking at charts and found some nice humps along the east side of the shipping channel trolled that way and found a few breakers. 3 rods go down at once and we boat 3 nice size blues around 20 inch. Circled the area for the next 2 hours and pick up 3 more then pulled the lines. It was fun to get some pullage, probably would have had more action if we found them earlier as it was slack tide. But nonetheless good times with good friends and safe travels in a new to me boat. I have to say I am really liking the Grady, nothing like running 30 knots into a 2' chop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boat 2.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	173354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue Fish 2 7_18_2015.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	173362   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue Fish 7_18_2015.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	173370  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boat 4.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	173378  

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Great report, sounds like a great time, congrats on the new ride, she looks good....

DBM

Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support Tidal Fish
    Blog Entries

Capt: Were you using surgical hose, or drone, or??? Would appreciate.

Also: Follows is consolidated multi trip report for the past 10 days, consistent with this string, instead of creating a new one.

First Capt: Nice boat! And thanks for your report. Let me supplement it, as well, if ok.... if not I can delete this and redo as new report. Let me know.

Your logic re: the mounds on eastern side is perfect, right on. Last year was much drier, and the Sharps Island Light to way up in Choptank provided awesome fishing. Serious. You are right that conditions now force one to go a long way to find fish.

I've been going way up in Potomac or Pax. Rivers, after patiently burning fuel and time in searchs around middle grounds, up to Hoopers ( you) and south of Target Ship, or, even drifts in mud leads for croaker or two and occasional little (18-20 " bluefish).

There is an alternative....I've found large White Perch in good numbers, in headwaters of St. Mary's River, near the St. Mary's College, AND inside St. Leonard's Creek, off the Patuxent, (and several similar places, including the Little Choptank). Apparently the less salty water has brought them out denser than normal this year in low salinity river leads using bloods or casting flies). The white perch do stir fry well, and recently 10-to 12 inch size is normal. Yum yum!

Either bait cast, or use bloods, in shallow shoreline- anywhere near Spartina sp. grasses and tidal Chesapeake river headwaters. Little Choptank isn't that far for you.

P.S. I have no idea how you tolerate the long shallow 4' ft approach and miniscule sharp rip-rap stone 18' ft wide entrance to Breezy Point (Bet: you can't get that boat through it sideways in the dark, betcha:) lol , None the less, otherwise, a sweet location!

Thanks for report!

In good spirits and friendship,
    Tight lines
    Last edited by captrichie; 07-21-2015 at 07:26 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by captrichie View Post
    Capt: Were you using surgical hose, or drone, or??? Would appreciate.

Also: Follows is consolidated multi trip report for the past 10 days, consistent with this string, instead of creating a new one.

First Capt: Nice boat! And thanks for your report. Let me supplement it, as well, if ok.... if not I can delete this and redo as new report. Let me know.

Your logic re: the mounds on eastern side is perfect, right on. Last year was much drier, and the Sharps Island Light to way up in Choptank provided awesome fishing. Serious. You are right that conditions now force one to go a long way to find fish.

I've been going way up in Potomac or Pax. Rivers, after patiently burning fuel and time in searchs around middle grounds, up to Hoopers ( you) and south of Target Ship, or, even drifts in mud leads for croaker or two and occasional little (18-20 " bluefish).

There is an alternative....I've found large White Perch in good numbers, in headwaters of St. Mary's River, near the St. Mary's College, AND inside St. Leonard's Creek, off the Patuxent, (and several similar places, including the Little Choptank). Apparently the less salty water has brought them out denser than normal this year in low salinity river leads using bloods or casting flies). The white perch do stir fry well, and recently 10-to 12 inch size is normal. Yum yum!

Either bait cast, or use bloods, in shallow shoreline- anywhere near Spartina sp. grasses and tidal Chesapeake river headwaters. Little Choptank isn't that far for you.

P.S. I have no idea how you tolerate the long shallow 4' ft approach and miniscule sharp rip-rap stone 18' ft wide entrance to Breezy Point (Bet: you can't get that boat through it sideways in the dark, betcha:) lol , None the less, otherwise, a sweet location!

Thanks for report!

In good spirits and friendship,
    Tight lines
    I'm also out of breezy. It's a nice spot most of the time. However with the action at the bridge it's a long haul at at least a hour. They dredged the channel to the Marina this year but the water outside is around 4ft or so. I wish they had some channel markers as it would make A easier approach at night. Thank goodness for gps!

Quote Originally Posted by captrichie View Post

What type of flies are you using Captrichie? Pics?

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

You need to eat more salad!

My dad kept his boat on the trailer at breezy up until 6 years ago. Couldn't afford to keep replacing items stolen off the boat, and he kept it covered. Zero security there, as of 6 years ago, not sure about now. Sorry for going sideways with the thread.

Nice boat, even old as it is. Good luck with it.

Kevin I have had boats here for the last 6 years as well and never had an issue...knock on wood.

Jro your a d-ck hope to see you soon.

Chief Angler / Moderator

Thumbs up

Welcome back to the water New rig looks good and glad you broke it in catching some fish.
    Check out the Tidal Fish homepage, you might recognize the guy in the Maryland Fishing report pic

Thanks Brandon. That's my buddy Matt I'll let him know that he's famous now.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast