Need some Help Where to go, first time surf fishing
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Question Where to go, first time surf fishing

Hello,

I live in North Potomac, MD and want to try surf fishing; however don't know where is a good spot closer to where I live, any suggestions? As for tackle I have a 10' Penn Spinfisher V rod/reel combo, no line yet...should I go braid? reel can hold 15/300 or so, any suggestions? what else gear wise I will need? lures? live bait? again not sure, whats biting nearby so any suggestions will be appreciate it. And in case you wondering, yes I have done saltwater fishing (inshore), bass fishing, fly fishing and others, just never surf fishing or specifically using surf fishing gear and targeting those fish species.

Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Wow...no DelMarVa guys helping you out?

Sounds like you have the gear....I've used both 15 to 25 lb. mono to good effect and braid..up to you really...
    It was primarily a bait deal, but if you see birds diving or fish breaking some metal spoons or plugs are always good to have on hand.
    Finding good beach structure requires a drive on the beach but there are walkover points available that will work.

I cut my surf fishing teeth at Assateaque MD w/o a 4x4 years ago when I lived in Arlington VA....yes, it is a drive but you have to drive if you want surf.
    I carried my gear over the dunes and found good places.
    The 14 pound bluefish runs back then made it worthwhile, grey trout on occasion. There was a striper moratorium back then but that has changed.
    Bluefish most often... Spot, Croaker, flounder, Whiting/kingfish or Sea Mullet as they are referred to in NC , and yes...skates and dogs...they are there, caught them all.

Tried Roaring Point and some other places where you can find access, occasionally Chincoteaque VA.
    I also fished Indian River Inlet jetty for stripers and grey Trout near Fenwick - north of OC MD....tried Lewes Delaware too.
    Last few years have seen a return of Red Drum and Stripers in Spring/Fall in Assateaque MD.
    Left in '97 and so I do most of my fishing in Hatteras OBX.

Never tried my 9Wt fly rod in MD surf...I've been bringing that to Hatteras when wind/water cooperated...when fish run thick I know I'll get one on a fly...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements