Trolling rod and feel for Chesapeake Bay Area fishing?
    TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Trolling rod and feel for Chesapeake Bay Area fishing?

I'm looking for the lightest setup for trolling around Chesapeake Bay Area.
    Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Also, what # braid line is recommended?

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

What you're asking could cover a lot of opinions & recommendations & of course cost range. By lightest, do you mean lightest in total weight or lightest type outfit? Makes a difference where you're trolling & what you're using too. Heck, I've trolled small bucktails & spoons in the rivers & bay with the same tackle I use for bass fishing. That's a 6'6" or 7' rod ( I like the BPS Extreme rods) with an ABU 5500/5600 or sometimes a 6500/6600 size reel & the lures are generally 1/2 oz or less. Pretty light compared to a heavy trolling rod & larger size reel. That bass gear won't work with big umbrella rigs or heavy parachute or bucktail jigs however, so in that case a much stouter type rod & bigger size reel would be needed.

If you can narrow down exactly what you intend to do with it, folks can give you some more refined suggestions.

Braid is another item that gets a lot of different answers. Generally, it's going to vary between about 20 lb test & up depending on the set up & what size fish you're after. Again narrow down your intended use.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Avet SX with a different rod for the type of fishing you intend to do. Plenty of line and enough drag to subdue trophy bass. It wont like a 20lb mojo much though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

I have a humble Trophy 1903CC that I am content with, but it is not outfitted well for trolling around the Shoptalk River. I go mostly alone, and don’t think that I would ever try more than 4 lines from a boat this small. The boat has angled rod holders, flush with the gunnels and facing directly aft, at the corner of each side of the stern.

"Light set-up" for me would be rods, reels, line capable of small mojos, 1-3 oz. bucktails and Tony spoons. Since I would be running a small number of rods, generally by myself, I would like to deploy multiple baits on each line. Can you give me advice on both rod holders and terminal tackle equipment/lures for a small boat on the Bay? The rod holders, I think, would allow one rod over each side of the boat (a 90 degree angle) and one rod facing aft.

It is the "Choptank" River, on the Eastern Shore of MD.

8. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements