Tidal Fish Forum banner

Lake Lanier

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  James Anderson 
#1 ·
My son just called to say he just caught his 20th. Bass today . He Fished from about 7am to almost 1 pm. today. 18 Spotted Bass and 2 Large Mouth. Most between 2-2 1/2 lb. Most were caught on crank baits. When he first started this morning, he caught 4 Spotted Bass in just 5 casts. His home is directly on the Lake.

#3 ·
Yes , he sometimes fishes several times a week, year around. On some days he catches 30 bass .He fishes for stripers too. For stripers,they mostly live line herring that are sold in bait stores and when it gets colder , in Jan./Feb they switch to live lineing rainbow trout when the bigger 15-30 lb. stripers bite better in the cooler water. Striper guides mostly use center consoles from 20-25ft.They keep the Lake well stocked with fish. I think the limit on stripers is around 15 pp. per day. Slab crappies are plentiful also. The popular method is to shoot docks. The local Churches frequently have crappie fish fries. They have no problem getting members to catch 500 big slab sized crappies for their church dinners. The heavy fishing pressure doesn't seem to put a dent in fish populations. I'll be down there this winter fishing or bass, crappies, stripers, walleyes and what ever else is willing to bite.

#4 ·
Capt Nick, that's one lake I've put on my bucket list. My guide friend fly fishes for the Stripers in that lake, but also uses other tackle. I hope to someday get down there & give those Stripers a try on a fly. But, if I ever do get down there I'll take it however it will work out!

I now live very near Lake Marion in SC, and one of the areas best bass guides lives right down the street from me. Another item on my bucket list is to get out here & fish for bass with that fellow. So many fish, so little time! :yes:

Tell your son to fish as much as he can & I hope you do very well once you get the chance to give that lake a try too this winter! Thanks! :rockingreport:

#5 ·
My son caught another 20 mix of spotted and largemouth Bass yesterday + 1 small walleye and a big flat head catfish on his crank bait. in 5 hrs. He said the Striper boats are pulling herring in the main stem of the lake and hooking up with good numbers 12 lb. stripers. This is the beginning of winter fishing on the Lake. Lake Lanier is 35 miles long with lots of deep creek arms. It's a dammed up portion of the Chatahoochie river.It's a very deep lake. The upper Chatahootchie river end is home to spotted bass,a few large mouth bass,shoal bass, trout and walleyes. Below Bufford dam(south end of the lake) has some great year around trout fishing. I've float fished it with my son during summer in a raft and the water is ice cold, even in August .It comes from the bottom of Lake Lanier. Catching 10 trout per angler around 12-14 inches is common almost any time of year.I think the limit is 10 per angler , year round.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.