Tidal Fish Forum banner

Favorite Light Tackle Setups

9K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Bay valle 
#1 ·
Seeing if I can get a thread started with everyones favorite LT rockfish or whatever other fish setup you want to post. Always like to hear reviews about products from real people.

On the boat I am currently running:

-Shimano Stradic 2500FJ - St Croix Premier Spinning 7' M

-Release Reels (Truth) SG - St Croix Tidemaster Casting 7' MHF

-Shimano Tekota 300 - Star Rod 7' M?

-Penn Battle II 4000 7' Combo

Thinking about adding a low profile baitcaster to the arsenal for jigging and looking at a
Shimano Curado 201 - St Croix Mojo Inshore 7' MHF (ugh mexico) but like the split grip. Any other suggestions?

#2 ·
I use a Quantum KVD flipping reel married to a 7' Field & Stream Tech Spec Elite MH extra fast tip rod for almost all of my LTJ. I can keep track of the lure and the bottom much better than with either a plain free spool bait caster or a spinning reel. The one draw back is that the revolving spool reel does not feed out line as quickly as a spinning reel, but so far, that has not been a major problem.

#3 ·
I use a couple of 7' BPS MH Woo Daves Extreme Series Spinnerbait Rods matched to either Abu Revo STX or Abu 5600 C5 Mag-X reels. Usually toss bucktails or spoons, sometimes jigheads & plastics with them up to about an ounce in weight. Also have a heavier BPS Extreme 7'10" jig rod coupled with an ABU 6600 I like for lures heavier than an ounce.

#4 ·
For schoolies & fish up to 30" I use a 6' med action BP extreme coupled with a shimano sahara 2500 or 3000 spooled with either 8 - 10# mono or 17# nanofil. For larger fish a 6 1/2' MH St Croix Premier with Penn Battle 4000 spooled with 12# mono or 30# braid. In the spring when the big cows are (supposed to be) around I'll use my St Croix setup and rigs up to an 8' surf spin with appropriate reel and mono or braid up to 30#...upper, upper bay.

#5 ·
Before I left FL. to move back to MD. I gave most of my fishing stuff to my Venice South Jetty friends. I still have two St. Croix rods I probably will never use again, also kept my Lews Speed Spin reel I used for rockfish. All I have now is a 7' rod reel combo with light line. And one setup for flounder in Delaware. The reel is a Shimano 4000, I forgot the name of the rod, but I know it is a 7' Med. Just fishing with all the work picked out. Don't need much anymore fishing for Perch, crappie, bass, and them damn pickerel. Don't even need a garage anymore. LOL!

#6 ·
Took my new Shimano curado/St croix mojo setup that I bought this winter out for the first time last week. On my 5th cast with the new setup I caught a rockfish and decided I loved the new combo, then while releasing the fish I slipped and landed on the rod up against the gunwale and with one snap created a 2pc rod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.