Good Information Radar is a good tool. (for fishing too) - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Article on some newer radar technologies on the market here: http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/ra...src=SOC&dom=fb

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks, still waiting for a release date on my NXT.

Sorry to hijack the thread with this part.
    Finally got my boat Friday with the Touch2 installed. If you get a chance can you send me a pic of your transducer? Mine (P66) was fine going out on test run but coming back lost bottom. I took a straight edge from the hull bottom and the front is slightly higher than the rear which Airmar says may be causing aeration. I can't see how to tilt the unit down anymore.

I thought I would bump this thread from last year with a couple of shots from my radar this fall showing target trails. Target trails essentially show where other vessels have been over a given amount of time. The red is where the target currently is located and the blue is where they have been over the given amount of time. I typically set my trails to 1 minute. This gives enough time for me to get an idea of the direction that the boats surrounding me are going even if they slow trolling or drifting. Target trails can also be helpful in identifying bird play because you will get some crazy thin blue lines displayed on the screen. My radar is only a Furuno 4kw 24"radome UHD radar so it is mostly for navigation but I can pick up birds within a few miles.

Here are a couple of shots around fleets of boats off of PLO this past fall. (small specs are birds in the area)

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Good thread. Thanks for updating it. We are like to many people on the bay, we don't use our radar enough to get good with it. Saw you working on the boat in the yard last week when I drove the back way to the Cape.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I won't hesitate to admonish those that drop all kinds of coin on their rigs and fishing, but don't have radar, or don't use it.
    Just this fall someone I know was running before light and hit a buoy, doing around $5k in damage to the boat, but luckily not hurting anyone.

Me: "Don't you have radar?"
    Him: "I do, but wasn't really looking at it because I was following somebody and I just got this really nice GPS.."

Seriously?

First off, if you have radar and aren't using it in the event of a seriously accident, you WILL be found at least partially at fault by the USCG for not using all the navigation tools at your disposal.
    Second, GPS lies. Markers move. Regularly. I can't believe people trust GPS like they do.

Now, I'm not the saltiest dude out there. But I am a licensed Capt, and have run boats professionally where I spent the vast majority of my time on the water at night and in inclement weather.
    If I'm underway, the radar is the tool I use the most. Regardless of weather.
    The best way to get good with your radar is to play with it when it's nice out, watch it intently, and put real effort into memorizing what your radar screen should look like for a particular waterway.
    This becomes very advantageous for us as fishermen, because we frequently sail to and from our home slips in the dark, and with that radar image memorized, you'll pick up on anything out of place much more quickly.

If you're comfortable with your radar, you'll be much more at ease and therefore more capable of making rational decisions quickly when visibility drops.

Great post! much appreciated

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Ifishmd- Thanks for sharing that knowledge. Wonderful!

Thank you for the appreciation.

I agree Buckshotgumbo that radar can be more important than a gps at times. I will often run with my radar as my predominate screen. Radar shows you what is there vs the gps, which is what is supposed to be there. For example if you look at this photo you can see the little clam line "pick" marker just to the starboard of my green heading line. It is small because my range is 1.5 miles but the mark is there and identifiable. You dont find things like that on your gps screen.

I also should note that many systems require a heading sensor (aka, electronic compass) for radar overlay on charts. This makes sure that the unit can identify which way a boat is heading or facing towards vs which way it is going. This is important because the way a boat is actually facing and going can be different due to wind and currents. For example, see this photo. The green line is my heading and the dotted red line is the coarse over ground. At 3kn the crosswind obviously has me heading in a different direction than I am facing. The further away you get from the boat the greater the difference. If you dont have a heading sensor this differential can create incorrect overlay without a heading sensor

A good heading sensor is an additional $500+ but you can get a usable one from Lowrance called the "Point 1" for under $200. The refresh rate and accuracy will not work well for autopilot and possible prevent you from being able to use MARPA features but it will give you a more accurate overlay. I do think the only brand that will give you overlay without a heading sensor is Garmin. However I think the photo above shows the issue with using overlay without a heading sensor.

I have to say that while overlay is a cool feature. I only use it on good visibility days. I prefer to use my radar as a separate, uncluttered screen because items like small "pick markers" can easily get lost against a chart. When I NEED radar, I dont use overlay! This isnt to say it isnt a cool feature but I dont think overlay is at all necessary. Therefore a heading sensor is not needed to obtain radar. Dont get me wrong, a heading sensor is a good tool in itself for setting up drifts and trying to get over structure in addition to radar overlay, marpa, and autopilot features but it is not needed. I recommend radar over a heading a sensor. (I have both a Point 1 heading sensor (that goes unused) and a Furuno PG700)

(sorry the photos are showing up smaller, I posted them fairly large but I guess the forum software has size parameters)
    Last edited by iFishMD; 01-05-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Here I will try to zoom in on the photos to see them better.

Pick marker just to the right of the green heading line shows up even with range at 1.5 miles

Green heading line vs dotted red coarse line (wind/current blows the boat away from where it is heading)

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

headed out 2 test mine shortly....

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast