Good Information Radar is a good tool. (for fishing too)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Radar is a good tool. (for fishing too)

Just some food for thought for winter projects.

I am always surprised with the number fishermen that don't have radar installed on their boats on the bay. Yes it is an additional expense. However considering that most have so much many thousands of dollars already wrapped up in their boats, gear, trucks, other electronics etc., even entry-level radar can be added to most brands multi-function displays for just a tad more than grand. This includes Lowrance, Raymarine, Simrad, Garmin, and even Furuno. Heck even if you dont have a radar capable plotter you can even get a wireless stand-alone unit that uses your iPad as a screen for a tad over a grand from Furuno. SiTex offers some nice stand alone units fairly inexpensively too. I find fishermen will spend thousands updating an already functional fish finder or chart plotter to get the latest and greatest but will skip over one of the most valuable tools even on the bay.

First and foremost radar gives you eyes on the water, both in good visibility and poor. Whether you are leaving the dock early in the dark on opening day, getting caught in one of those fog banks brought on by an easterly wind, or even trying to traverse the channel edge trolling on a hazy day without getting run over by a commercial ship coming up the bay at close to 18kn, radar can help you see collision risks around you. Even on days when the visibility is good, I find it to be a useful tool in keeping an eye on the boats around me. A quick glance at a screen gives me a full 360 degree look to what is around me. Very useful on crowded days when I have my hands full retying rigs, dealing with fish on the boat, or something else.

Even though most of us fish the bay and have quick and easy access to our smart phones with weather apps, radar will pick up precipitation. Seeing rain storms coming across the bay instantly can help you and your crew prepare to get wet or even dodge some of the smaller rain bursts we get in late spring and summer.

---------------------

Radar is also a very useful tool for fishing. Sure there are those big boats that run $6,000-$7,000 12kw radars that can find flocking birds miles away. However, even the entry-level radars can serve a good purpose for fisherman other than safety.

The first use is "spot mugging". Yes I said it, you can steal spots from other boaters. I will be the first to admit that this is how I got the numbers for the wreck off of Podickery Point. When I moved to the area years ago I kept noticing some local charter boat captains anchored in about the same area time after time. They frequently seemed to be netting fish too. One trip I picked them up on my radar and marked the area on the plotter to later go and look at the area with my fish finder. I know others who have done it offshore in order to grab a small snag or bottom change that is unmarked on any charts. Sometimes it is these small snags or bottom changes that are unmarked on charts that can produce the best.

Next is finding the fleet. Sure the smaller low kw radomes aren't true "bird finding" radars. However they do pick up boats well and can do so for miles. I find that this is particularly useful in the fall when the fish are actively schooled up feeding on bait. Fishermen themselves flock to the birds even when a lower power radar may not pick up the winged things. Yes, I, like most anglers, like to find my own bite or be the fish first to the fish and keep to myself or just the couple of friends whom I am working with to find fish. However there are those days when that doesn't happen. This means putting the radar on a longer range when trying to decide which way to run. Even with my high power stabilizing binoculars, there are days when the haze limits how far I can see. Radar is less limiting here. Radar may even pay for itself in fuel savings utilizing it this way. Of course it could have you spending more fuel if you see a fleet of boats beyond where you initially intended to run

(**Edit*** Added use:)
    Another feature for the MARPA capable units is that you can track your friends throughout the day. I use this often while trolling and sometimes jigging just to keep tabs on friends and/or other boats I am working with to know where they are in relation to myself. This helps me know where a friend is when he calls and said he just had a rod or two go down so I can see the depth he is fishing or even where exactly the bite is. You can also keep tabs on a top producing charter boat that you know has been successful. You can try to mimic the patterns, depths, etc while giving plenty of space. You can see an example of this on the photo of my radar with the two targets circled and numbered.

------------------------

The point of me sharing this is if you are considering some upgrades to your boat this year, radar should be a strong consideration. If you already have a functioning fish finder and plotter, I tell you that you aren't likely to mark fish that you didn't before with a new fish finder and the while the newer chart plotters may have some cool features, you aren't likely to be able to go new places. However by adding radar if you don't have it can not only give you an additional safety feature, it can help your fishing game too.

------------------------

Here are some "fairly inexpensive" radars:

Work with multi-function displays

Stand alone units

------------------------------

Below are some shots of my 4kw UHD Radome radar showing some different scenarios. Wish I had some shots from this past fall even picking up birds. I will try to remember to take some better photos this year.

Feel free to comment, add photos, etc..

Please follow us on facebook too for photos through out the year. www.facebook.com/iFishMD/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r1.jpg 
Views:	683 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	196874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r3.jpg 
Views:	667 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	196890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r4.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	196898  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r5.JPG 
Views:	671 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	196906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r2.jpg 
Views:	686 
Size:	160.2 KB 
ID:	196914  
    Last edited by iFishMD; 02-12-2016 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Add: Track your Friends with MARPA

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I could not agree more. I bought a Lowrance 3G 3 years ago after a trip back to Solomons Island from the eastern shore at night. It was a new definition of dark and the fog rolled in. I like to fish until the last minute and then get back so I often find myself navigating back in the dark. I also fish in the Potomac at night and use the alarm feature to keep track of boats approaching me that I would not otherwise know violated my "space". It really helped one night when a barge was approaching and I could not see any lights. Great safety device and I won't own another boat to fish the bay or ocean without one.

Steve

Since I also work for a printing company, I run almost all of my summer charter trips in the evening after work. We typically fish from 5pm until 9pm or so. I run home in the dark several nights a week. It definitely is a safety tool for me. However I did also want to point out the advantages for fishing.

Here is another fishing benefit I left off that is an option on many of the entry radars too:

Another feature for the MARPA capable units is that you can track your friends throughout the day. I use this often while trolling and sometimes jigging just to keep tabs on friends and/or other boats I am working with to know where they are in relation to myself. This helps me know where a friend is when he calls and says he just had a rod or two go down so I can see the depth he is fishing or even where exactly the bite is. You can also keep tabs on a top producing charter boat that you know has been successful. You can try to mimic the patterns, depths, etc while giving plenty of space. You can see an example of this on the photo of my radar with the two targets circled and numbered.
    Last edited by iFishMD; 02-12-2016 at 01:17 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

My new Simrad has an invisible feature - I hit it on and - Poof - no one can spot my boat.

Hate it when MFers " steal " my wrecks when I'm diving them.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Skip.. I will give you one guess who is target #1 in the last photo

BTW, this is the radar I have since I got an email asking: http://www.boemarine.com/furuno-navn...digital-radar/

Think the target # 1 is drunk - driving around in circles / loops.

Seriously - good post / info.

Prices have came down and quality has gone up on radar.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Everything you wrote is why I'm getting one on my new boat.

The Furuno DRS4NXT should be added. I'm till working out the details to get mine hopefully by summer. Appreciate your help on the other site.

Quote Originally Posted by davepjr71 View Post

The Furuno DRS4NXT should be added. .
    When I started this thread a few weeks back, Furuno hadn't announced it yet. I still dont think it is quite available yet either. It also is likely to be a bit more expensive than the units I listed..

However it is a very cool solid state radar with doppler processing. I would love to add it to my boat in the future.
    Last edited by iFishMD; 03-06-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iFishMD View Post
    When I started this thread a few weeks back, Furuno hadn't announced it yet. I still dont think it is quite available yet either. It also is likely to be a bit more expensive than the units I listed..

However it is a very cool solid state radar with doppler processing. I would love to add it to my boat in the future.
    You are correct. Still not out and will be in the $1900+ neighborhood. Here anywhere from late March to June. I need to talk to my dealer to wrap up placing my order so I'm not waiting forever when they do come out. When I get mine in and mounted I'll try to remember to post about a real world use.

Thanks for sharing iFish. As a Radar Engineer I appreciate the tips even more.
    Also, I like how Furuno uses standard radar terminology like Pulse Compression and Pulse Doppler and has refrained from saying CHIRP, a term that was coined for fishfinders which employed radar pulse compression, but now being the popular term is also being tagged back on to new radars...

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast