Good Information Cobia - Page 10
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Cobia

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish

Has any thought been given to raising the minimum size limit along with the reductions? Maybe raise it from 37 inches to 42 inches and 2 or 1 per boat. Not sure if that helps avoid a closure but it would most likely help the fishery.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Here are a couple slides from today's session with the VMRC Commissioner today that gives a little insight on the current thinking.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Since i have started sight fishing cobia july usually has my lowest average number of fish. I would say last July was the best I have ever had, so if you're going off of last year July was okay for small 2 medium fish. IFish Way North to the ocean depending on where the biye is that day . Typically the larger fish or on the bottom spawning would be my guess and you see a lot more rat sized male fish up top.
    @mwillis

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

NO bait, no predators!! Get Omega pushed out of the bay!! Start limiting stationary gill net licensees or push to ban all stationary gill nets! Only non stationary type gill netting should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Entourage View Post
    Since i have started sight fishing cobia july usually has my lowest average number of fish. I would say last July was the best I have ever had, so if you're going off of last year July was okay for small 2 medium fish. IFish Way North to the ocean depending on where the biye is that day . Typically the larger fish or on the bottom spawning would be my guess and you see a lot more rat sized male fish up top. @mwillis
    Thanks for elaborating. I have only been at it for 3 years and still trying to figure it all out.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default My Bad

Quote Originally Posted by Entourage View Post
    July is the worst time to sight fish cobia. And it is also when they are typically spawning and they Batch spawn from the way I understand
    Entourage,
    Just curious as to why July is the worst month?
    Still learning as I go.
    Thanks!

MY BAD - Just saw your explanation.
    Last edited by JDAN1; 03-15-2016 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Duplicate

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default cobia

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Avery View Post
    My belief is that the vast majority of us are pretty much on the same page. We want something between were we are now (1 per person) and a total closure. Going below 1 per person most likely means boat limits. SAFMC is now working an amendment to the cobia FMP that will affect the 2017 season. We will all need to come together to figure out what we want to see for boat limits, sizes, or slots to reduce our take of cobia to help protect the stocks.

For the short term for 2016 there will be a closure in state waters (and all of the bay). VMRC is crunching numbers with NMFS to figure out how many extra days Virginia might be able to have in state waters beyond June 20th. The answers would looking something like:

1 cobia per boat = X number of extra days.

2 cobia per boat = y number of extra days.

3 cobia per boat = z number of extra days.
    Or boat limits with size changes or slots = xyz

The question becomes how low a boat limit are we willing to go for extra days in state waters for cobia for 2016. Once we have some hard data, VSSA will do some polling to try to get a consensus on what anglers what to see happen. I suspect the timelines will be short to make this happen as VMRC will have to vote on whatever is decided at the April meeting. More to follow.
    At least one fish per boat would keep me alive!

Quote Originally Posted by bob reed View Post
    At least one fish per boat would keep me alive!
    Agreed. Even if doing catch and release you are bound to have one that gets gut hooked and bleeding all over the deck. Be nice to keep and not have to toss it back for crab food. I know circle hooks help but I have lost too many on circles and thus prefer the j-hooks for cobia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Avery View Post
    From the VMRC FB Page

Cobia Update March 10, 2016

The National Marine Fisheries Service recently announced a closure of the recreational cobia fishery in federal waters from Georgia through New York (the Atlantic stock) to begin at 12:01am on Monday, June 20th, 2016. The fishery will reopen on January 1st, 2017. Because the Atlantic stock of cobia is managed by a fishery management plan under the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council, all of these states are expected to follow similar measures in their respective state waters. At this time, VMRC staff are coordinating with staff from the North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries as well as NOAA’s Southeast Regional Office to determine whether or not a change in regulation for Virginia’s waters could help lead to a later closure of the fishery. Because the closure date of June 20th was determined using landings data from the years 2013-2015, new regulations (for example, a higher minimum size limit or modest boat limit or both) would lead to a reduction in expected 2016 catch and allow the fishery to remain open longer. VMRC expects the analyses will be complete in April, in advance of the April 26 Commission meeting.
    So all the states to the south have no impact on their spring season (Feb - May is when they call catch most of their Cobia as they migrate north) but then once they reach the Mid Atlantic in June they shut down the fishery? That's bull crap!
    Last edited by Water_boy; 03-16-2016 at 06:05 PM.

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thats why we should say close season now! Open july/august or ?

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast