Question VSSA Preliminary Poll -- Cobia Options

View Poll Results: VSSA Preliminary Poll - Cobia Options

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Non Compliance - VA Implements reasonable limits 3 PP with 1 over 50 inches

    12 31.58%
  • 35 inches 2 fish = JUNE 27

    3 7.89%
  • 35 inches 1 fish = JUNE 30

    1 2.63%
  • 37 inches 2 fish= June 28

    1 2.63%
  • 37 inches 1 fish = July 3

    2 5.26%
  • 40 inches 2 fish=July 3

    1 2.63%
  • 40 inches 1 fish=July 15

    3 7.89%
  • 45 inches 2 fish = Aug 3

    3 7.89%
  • 45 inches 1 fish= No Closure

    12 31.58%
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,773

    Default VSSA Preliminary Poll -- Cobia Options

    FYI, posted on the VMRC page.

    April 7, 2016: A public hearing on cobia fishery issues has been pushed back until the Commission’s May 24 meeting in order to provide additional time to conduct data analysis and other research on potential size limit and vessel limit changes, combined with regional management approaches with other states, that may extend the recreational cobia fishing season. Another Finfish Management Advisory Committee meeting will be held on April 18 to discuss new information that pertains to the cobia fishery and the pending June 20 closure of the cobia fishery in federal waters by the National Marine Fisheries Service.

    One of the reasons the public hearing was moved from April 26 to May 24 is NC and VA are working together to attempt to formulate an agreement between states. SAFMC has calculated some options to allow cobia to remain open in state waters to remain compliant with the federal closure. Click hear to see the slides.

    There are 8 options for VA to remain compliant if, and only if, NC also implements one of these options. Also discussed at the last VMRC meeting was the idea of Virginia going out of compliance with the feds. There have been situations that other states have intentionally gone out of compliance with feds so it has happened. I wanted to throw out a preliminary poll to see what anglers want to see happen. As always, any VSSA position adopted will come from anglers. Most of us are conservation minded and want to do the responsible thing for all fish including cobia but few believe we are in a situation with cobia that a complete shutdown is warranted while our southern neighbors continue to fish. This is a preliminary poll as the options have not been determined yet.

    Option 1. VA non complies with the federal closure but implements reasonable boat limits at 3 per boat with 1 over 50 inches. No closure. (Please note the poll above has a typo (my fat fingers) should be 3 per boat not 3 pp.)

    These other options are forked length which is a bigger fish than total length and depends on NC also implementing. A 35 inch forked length fish is a larger fish than a 35 inch total length fish.

    Option 2. 35 inches 2 fish = JUNE 27


    Option 3. 35 inches 1 fish = JUNE 30


    Option 4. 37 inches 2 fish= June 28


    Option 5. 37 inches 1 fish = July 3


    Option 6. 40 inches 2 fish=July 3


    Option 7. 40 inches 1 fish=July 15


    Option 8. 45 inches 2 fish = Aug 3


    Option 9. 45 inches 1 fish= No Closure


    Virginia Saltwater Sportfishing Association (VSSA)
    email: [email protected]
    ifishva.org
    joinvssa.org
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/IfishVA/
    Last edited by Mike Avery; 04-09-2016 at 03:49 AM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    567

    Default

    Option 1

  4. #3
    TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Option 1, I'd even be ok with 2 Per Boat

  5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,773

    Default

    Don't forget to click your vote above as it's the best way to keep track.

  7. #5
    Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish! CaptWil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    468

    Default Incorrect and Misleading

    Mike,
    None of the above - they are all bad options for Virginia and play into the failed modeling and management of the federal fisheries managers.

    These numbers put out by the SAFMC reflect lengths in Fork Length, which every state uses except Virginia. Virginia uses a Total Length measurement for all fish. Your statement "These option are forked length which is a bigger fish than total length..." is absolutely incorrect and misleading. Total length is LARGER than Forked Length and for Cobia it's about a 4 inch difference.

    So, option 1 anglers want a 54inch fish...really?

    Boat limits are equally bad and unfairly target the OUPV Charter fleet, which isn't a significant portion (7%) of the total catch compared to the recreational sector (91%). And, when you consider approximately 95-96% of recreational Cobia trips landed 3 or less, targeting that remaining 4% with a boat limit gives you NOTHING. It does however, create a useless but long-lived regulation that Virginia anglers will have to live with. Is this the kind of work VSSA wants to be known for?

  8. #6
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptWil View Post
    Mike,
    [B]
    ... Boat limits are equally bad and unfairly target the OUPV Charter fleet, which isn't a significant portion (7%) of the total catch compared to the recreational sector (91%). And, when you consider approximately 95-96% of recreational Cobia trips landed 3 or less, targeting that remaining 4% with a boat limit gives you NOTHING. It does however, create a useless but long-lived regulation that Virginia anglers will have to live with. Is this the kind of work VSSA wants to be known for?
    Disagree that charters were only 7%, they are on the water everyday and have much better success than the weekend warriors, but that's another debate. Option 1, This at least shows we are taking action until better data is available.

  9. #7
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    318

    Default

    I would like to see an option for an an adjusted season, 1 July -> 15 August, 2/boat 37" with one over 45"

  10. #8
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptWil View Post
    Mike,
    None of the above - they are all bad options for Virginia and play into the failed modeling and management of the federal fisheries managers.

    These numbers put out by the SAFMC reflect lengths in Fork Length, which every state uses except Virginia. Virginia uses a Total Length measurement for all fish. Your statement "These option are forked length which is a bigger fish than total length..." is absolutely incorrect and misleading. Total length is LARGER than Forked Length and for Cobia it's about a 4 inch difference.

    So, option 1 anglers want a 54inch fish...really?

    Boat limits are equally bad and unfairly target the OUPV Charter fleet, which isn't a significant portion (7%) of the total catch compared to the recreational sector (91%). And, when you consider approximately 95-96% of recreational Cobia trips landed 3 or less, targeting that remaining 4% with a boat limit gives you NOTHING. It does however, create a useless but long-lived regulation that Virginia anglers will have to live with. Is this the kind of work VSSA wants to be known for?
    Will, option 1 is total length. The other options are from SAFMC which are forked length. A 37 inch forked length fish IS BIGGER than a 37 inch total length fish. I am not advocating any of the SAFMC options, I'm merely presenting them. These are the options being considered by our government so I believe we should at least see them and discuss them. I don't personally support any of them but what we want to do in VSSA is let the anglers tell us what options they like. The 7% charter catch is only the percentage of what was intercepted by MRIP which may or may not reflect actual catch. I doubt they really know given the fuzzy math used in this whole debacle.

    Our challenge is we need to try to convince the VMRC Associate Commissioners to go out of compliance. This is not going to be an easy decision for any of them. I truly believe any option out of compliance has to be reasonable to reflect Virginia is trying to conserve the cobia populations. I have zero confidence they will vote for anything above 3 per boat but if there are other options that we think stand a chance then let's hear them.

  11. #9
    Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish! CaptWil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    468

    Default

    I hope this clears up the misinformation about fork length versus total length...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Measurement.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	200562


    Virginia uses total length however, when you deal with other federal fisheries managers they will speak in fork length measurements, as they are doing with the Cobia discussion. Mixing the two is confusing, drives people to the wrong impression of what you're presenting, and gets you the wrong kind of citation if you follow your logic.

    Anglers need to be very careful on what they're being led to with your VSSA Polling ideas. Grasping at a bunch of bad ideas as the only perceived options out there isn't going to benefit our fishing community. There's other actions to consider than taking the bait they've offered.

  12. #10
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,773

    Default

    QUOTE=CaptWil;3021890]Anglers need to be very careful on what they're being led to with your VSSA Polling ideas. Grasping at a bunch of bad ideas as the only perceived options out there isn't going to benefit our fishing community. There's other actions to consider than taking the bait they've offered. [/QUOTE]

    I'm listening but all I'm hearing from you non constructive criticism. You seem to be the only one confused between total and forked length. I did call these preliminary options until more data is available.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Link to Us   Subscription Information   Advertise   Privacy Policy   Resources   Contact Us   About Us

©2012 TidalFish.com. All Rights Reserved.