Question Onslow Beach/Lejeune
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Onslow Beach/Lejeune

Coming down for beach stay in August, how productive is the surf at Onslow Beach?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Kinda bad when you're the only reply to you own thread. There must some help out there somewhere, I'm there on the 12th, help me out somebody.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Grew up a few miles from there in Sneads Ferry. My father retired there after 30 years in the Corps. I retired from the Army after doing my 30 years. Spent many hours on Onslow Beach as a young man...even camped out there quite a few times. August is not the best time of year to fish the surf but, you ought to be able to pick up a few pompano or a sea mullet or two on the in-coming tide. Take you a shovel and look for the sand fleas in the surf wash. You can see them as they dig into the sand when the water is gone by looking for the v's that they leave. It takes some practice but it's really not that hard. Remember, if there are no v's, there are no fleas. Move on to a different area. As the wash receeds, get you a big shovel of sand and spread it out smartly on the hard damp sand. You'll see the fleas scurry about. Grab them and put them into an container with some wet sand lining the bottom. The soft shell feas are like gold. If you can find a few of those, successful fishing is guaranteed. Make you a two drop bottom rig using a couple of snelled #6 hooks and no more than a 3 oz sinker. If it takes more than 3 oz to hold, it's too rough to fish. Don't forget a couple of sand spikes and something to sit on. Remember, in-coming tide is always the best. Also, if there's no wind, bring a fly swatter and some bug spray. If they still let you drive on the beach, be careful of the tides. I've gone to the inlet a time or two and couldn't get back until the tide went out. Good luck and have fun...wish I could go.

Tony

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Tony, yeah I remember the sand flea trick from the 70's. Bought a rake years ago for Va Beach, used to catch sheephead with fleas from the piers. I'm gonna bring everything I know the fish munch on. I just want to be there. I got my Corvair stuck in the sand waaaayyy down the end by myself one time. You know how long it's been since Corvair so you know there was no cell phones. Finally dug myself out about 9:30, wife was livid when I got home about 10:00. Got a 4WD Ram 1500 now.

Well it was an outstanding fish less weekend but I'm sure I gained a pound or two downing shrimp and suckling on craw dad's at the Snead's Ferry Shirt Festival. Weekend was mostly hanging 0ut with friends. Monday morning I had the first opportunity to get down to the beach and I'm gonna tell ya'll the flesh life je right off the beach. Went back to cabin and oiled down with bug juice and headed back to the beach. By that time they had invited their cousins from SC to join in the feast for this Virginia meat. Got the heck off that beah. There was a gent in the next cabin from me with a kayak that made a killing on red fish in the shallows around Hammocks Beach State Park. He said he didn't see anything under 20 inches all day. He had 4 mosters in his cooler, said he had the person's he was fishing with because they didn't like fishh. Hmmmm....well over the one a day limit. Maybe next year.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I've fished the offshore wrecks a few miles out of Onslow for Amberjack and inside for Cobia but I don't know anything about surf fishing there. I stayed at the Blue Marlin an kept my boat tied up behind the room on the canal .
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

9. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements