Tidal Fish Forum banner

Pouring, painting & tying! Striper, Bass & Redfish Jigs!

15K views 33 replies 3 participants last post by  andypat 
#1 ·
Hi All! I hadn't been spending time on here for a long while so thought I would post some of what I've been doing! :thumbup:
Trying to get a tackle business going again since moving to SC, so time has been limited.
Love living in SC! Lots of fishing & friendly folks! Miss family still in MD, and some of the fishing there too! Unfortunately no Smallmouth Bass here.

All the following are jigs I've made. Heads are powder painted. I've got over 300 molds & can make a lot of different things. Jigs from size 1/100 to 20 oz., plus jigging spoons and sinkers. Still tying flies too!

Hope you like them! BTW, it was 75 here yesterday! :yes:

Hair Jigs for Bass!

Bucktail Jigs! Going to try these first ones for Redfish.

Bass Jigs!

See less See more
#27 ·
Hi Jerry, sorry for the delayed reply. I've started a new job, and was away in Nashville. Heading out in the morning to California! To answer your question about the underfur, I usually pick it out as best I can with the tips of my scissors, or I have a comb with very fine teeth I'll use. It's actually a head lice comb from one of those treatment kits. I've had it a long, long time! I've never found it to be necessary to try to remove all the underfur, just thin it enough so the hair doesn't get all matted up. It's one of those things you just know when it's "right", like tying calftail or bucktail on a jig. And like most things, I've learned it the hard way! :oops:

I know what you mean, I had to turn down making some jigs for someone because of this new job. They needed them next week, and I just couldn't do it for them. But, I also ordered some more powder paints, so perhaps another time. :yes:

One of these days I need to get around to pouring some sinkers too. I have some in a tackle box here somewhere, but been some long since I've checked, no idea what I need!

Later! Be safe out there!

#31 ·
Hey all! Been awhile since I've been on here. This new job is taking me away from fishing & making tackle. Since I last posted I've been to Denver, Concord NC, Cincinnati, Minneapolis & Orlando. Just got back from MD yesterday too. Went up to see my mother, her 80th birthday was last week & we had a surprise dinner for her on Saturday. I really didn't want to go since I've been on the road so much lately and wanted some home time, but needed to go. Got to see my brothers & sisters & other family which I had not seen since Christmas or Thanksgiving last year.

Tomorrow I head out for Edison, NJ, and will eventually be in Lakeland Fl, Hampton VA, Chicago, Oklahoma City, and Texas.

Even with all this traveling I've made some jigs for a few folks. Here's the last that I made for a friend in IL. 1/8 oz, Mustad Ultra Point, 92833BLN, in size 2. Sampo swivels, Worth blades & split rings. Powder painted black. The eyes I painted using Ace hardware enamel. My friend wanted a stronger hook, as he said they often hook up with Walleyes or large catfish when they're targeting Crappies. That hook is popular with the Steelhead folks. I made 50 of them, 40 sent to my friend & some extras for my use. :thumbup:

#32 ·
Wow you have been around the block a time or two in the last little while. It was good that you could get to see your family.

Nice looking lures. What kind of mold is that and did you have to alter it to use the larger hooks? I poured up around 50 blade baits (a mix of 1/2 and 3/4 oz.) and some 1/64 oz. shad darts this afternoon. I have eyes on all the blades and put rear hooks and a UV clear coat on 18 of them. I will put the other hooks on tomorrow and may baptize them tomorrow afternoon. I was getting low on my supply of blades and I wanted the small darts to use for trout.

#33 ·
Hi Jerry & thanks! Sounds like you're keeping busy too!

I just got back from NJ last night! Yep, this job I have now is letting me see the country, that's for sure! :yes:

That's from a Do It Horsehead jig mold, JH-6-A in assorted sizes and didn't have to modify it. It takes the 570 & 575 hooks, but the Gamakatsu, Owner or Mustad black nickel Aberdeen hooks fit as well. (Within reason of course.)

I'm enjoying my new job, but it's taking a lot of time away from fishing & lure making. I leave for Lakeland, FL tomorrow. Those shad darts I posted previously never saw the water! :52:

Things will slow down soon for me with work, so I'll get back into making some flies & lures, and fishing! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.