Pouring, painting & tying! Striper, Bass & Redfish Jigs! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I poured and painted up a bunch of 1/32 darts over the weekend and tied up a few today using the thread. I think they will work very well for YP, WP, blue gill and crappie. I hope to get a chance to test them out if the weather will not get too cold and windy.

The material is made by Sulky and is called holoshimmer. Right now they are (or at least they were) on sale at Joann's Fabric for 30% off or around $3.50 per spool. They are 250 yard spools which will give me about 75 six inch bundles and I can get several darts or at least one large hook per bundle. I really like the way it looks on the lures. In the picture, I have included the wrapped hook box cover so you can get an idea of how I am making bundles out of the single string. I clip the bundle at the top of the wrap and have a bunch of fibers about six inches long. I am using 20 wraps and tying the bundle twice to get the tails for the darts. For the dropper flies, I used either 40 or 50 wraps and tied the bundle two or three times depending upon the size of the hook.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1768cr20.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	224929  

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Yep, then it's basically the same as the holographic Flashabou then, and may be a little cheaper at the price you're paying. I've been using the Flashabou version for a long time & also really like it. It's slightly stiffer than the regular Flashabou, but still works well. Flashabou brand also has a saltwater version which is a little wider strands. I use it as sides, just a single strand, on small jigs & flies, and it's good for larger jigs.

I tied up some more small jigs for a fellow in MD. He wanted 1/64 oz, some with a blue/green flash & some with the single silver. Powder painted, #6 hooks & tied them with Arctic Fox fur. He's gotten them already & told me they were exactly what he wanted. I made a few extras for my own fishing!
    You can see the holographic silver I used. It's the wider saltwater stuff, but has the same multi colored flash as the spooled you have.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6446.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	225017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6447.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	225025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6448.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	225033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6449.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	225041

Those look good. Do you like the fox fur better than kiptails? How does it compare in texture?

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Jerry! I like tying with fox, Arctic, Red, Gray, Kit & some of the farm raised cross types like Silver Fox. IMO, Fox is a better material than kip for small jigs, as it's a finer hair, so has better movement, like marabou, but it's also a more fragile hair so is not as durable. Also, when cutting Fox from the hide, there's a lot of underfur that needs to be removed, otherwise it's too dense & mats up once wet. You don't have that with kip. It's a trade off, to use one instead of the other, depending on what you want from the material. What I used on those jigs is body fur. I bought a bunch of tanned Arctic Fox trimmings from a furrier awhile back. I have some Arctic Fox tails too, and it's an excellent material for bass size hair jigs, but again it's very dense & that underfur has to be removed. I save it & use it for dubbing on flies, so not wasted, but for someone who doesn't tie flies, there's going to be waste.

Years ago on a bass fishing forum I used to frequent, a fellow was complaining about having trouble with fox fur jigs he had made. He didn't remove the underfur, just tied with it straight from the hide. A couple of folks, including myself told him he needed to remove that underfur. It's so dense it's even hard to get it wet sometimes, and then it doesn't have the best action. For someone not aware of this, it can be frustrating as fox is touted to be such a great tying material. It really is, but has to be used properly. Kip, other than it can sometimes be curly with longer hair, is good just as it is for tying. I still use some kip, primarily for Bonefish style flies. It has it's place.

How are you separating out the under fur?

Poured up and trimmed a bunch more 1/32 and 1/64 darts yesterday along with fifty 1/32 round head jigs poured on a #1 hook that I use for yellow perch in the river. I had to replenish my stock because I lost far too many of them last Saturday. I also poured up a bunch more 5/8, 3/4 and 1 oz. sinkers to replace the ones of those that I lost as well. Now I have to paint the darts. clean the hook eyes, cure the paint and then tie them up. A fisherman's work is never done!

Hi Jerry, sorry for the delayed reply. I've started a new job, and was away in Nashville. Heading out in the morning to California! To answer your question about the underfur, I usually pick it out as best I can with the tips of my scissors, or I have a comb with very fine teeth I'll use. It's actually a head lice comb from one of those treatment kits. I've had it a long, long time! I've never found it to be necessary to try to remove all the underfur, just thin it enough so the hair doesn't get all matted up. It's one of those things you just know when it's "right", like tying calftail or bucktail on a jig. And like most things, I've learned it the hard way!

I know what you mean, I had to turn down making some jigs for someone because of this new job. They needed them next week, and I just couldn't do it for them. But, I also ordered some more powder paints, so perhaps another time.

One of these days I need to get around to pouring some sinkers too. I have some in a tackle box here somewhere, but been some long since I've checked, no idea what I need!

Later! Be safe out there!

Wow! Where in California? I was stationed out at March AFB in Riverside in the '70's. Be safe.

San Mateo, just south of San Francisco.

Never made it up that far

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast