Fishing Report DB June Sea Trout
    Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Default DB June Sea Trout

During the 70s , Delaware Bay was famous for it's June Sea Trout run. Fishermen dropped what they were doing to trailer their boats and come from far away places to fish for the big schools of Trout that entered the Delaware Bay during June. Here's a vintage 71-72 photo of some of the Sea Trout that everyone came to fish for. Three of us, myself on the right with two fishing Buddies, caught 28 from 3-6 lbs. that day in June. 9-12 pound Trout were caught every day Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0108.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	233985. We would trailer my 17 ft. trihull to Delaware to fish for them every year during the 70s. We would drift in 50-70 feet of water with one ounce or more bucktails with a piece of squid or peeler crab trailer in the lower Delaware Bay to depths we saw the schools of Trout on the DF screen in places like Brandy Wine Light. The Head boats would be packed and jammed with fishermen with big coolers and high hopes. That is my fishing report from back then , 40 something years ago. Here's what it looks like today by Eric Burnley. http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/Fis...ingReport.aspx The last time I saw Eric Burnley we fished together out of Virginia Beach at the South tower off North Carolina in his new 92 Grady White where we ran to from Virginia Beach. 55 miles from Rudee Inlet . for Amberjack in July. We caught them until we were worn out.
    Last edited by Capt.Nick; 06-30-2017 at 09:09 AM.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Mohalk Wreck, Brandy Wine Light at night with lights, Coral Grounds was good day time. We used 7" purple, or black plastic worms on different size jigs. How about the lines at all the ramps to launch your boat. That was something to see/experience. Also very good flounder fishing back then.

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

We never caught many flounder while trout fishing in the Bay Andy but those that we caught were at least 3 - 5 pounds. I remember people using plastic worms for trout up there.I never saw that before or since. It's hard to believe how they just disappeared and never came back. I miss that June trout fishing on Delaware Bay.
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

The flounder liked a 7" yellow twister on a jig head for us. We caught quite a few while fishing for trout on the Coral Beds, not too far from the beach. Yes them flounder were like you said 3 to 5 Lbs. At night we used a 7 or 8" black Twister on a light 1/4 Oz. jig head and cast it on the edge of our light close to the Mohalk Wreak. The water came alive with bait fish. and shrimp under the lights. When large sharks showed up it was over. What a great time.

This is a glory days thread--everyone knows that over-restrictive guvment fishery management wiped out the robust trout population that included a strong population in the Ches Bay, it had nothing to do with the massive recreational harvest....

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Well Steve I have to disagree a little. Rec fisherman have to take some responesabilty. Trout are making a good come back in the Chesapeake bay but not DB why. What concerns me is, what isn't being talked about. And that is the fact that spawning is happening in the upper bay, but the yoy are dieing before they even get big enough to tell what they are or even get close enough to catch. DNR found that out a number of years ago and I haven't heard a word about it since. I'm sure their are still studies being done but not as much as should be.

9. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements