Fishing Report 13th not unlucky day - Sandy Point

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default 13th not unlucky day - Sandy Point

Launched from Sandy Point at 7 am - already hot out. My friends Leroy and Danny were running late - hate that.

10 , 15 minutes turned into 30 - I was ready to leave as they finally arrived. They had the 24 lbs of ice - loaded it and ran north.

Friend was already trolling and clued me in on the fish - but they were not yet biting. We got 4 rods set - Leroy and Danny have never trolled - so it was new to them. I explained as best I could - both fast learners.

We made one long pass but not hits - meter was lit up really nice. Current was not running as predicted - figured once it got going strong - fish should bite. We were trolling in 30-45 close to channel.

Sure enough - about 30 minutes later , got nice hit. Danny did good and stopped reeling so in line weight was about 6 foot off rod tip. I use 7 foot rods. I took weight and handed it to Danny - Leroy stepped in to net as I leadered a nice 24 incher.

I complemented the guys on such a good team effort. My fears of new guys trolling went away.

We reset the line out 7 bars and swung back. Got another fish - Leroy reeled it in and Danny netted - just like pros. I was happy - often new guys make a lot of mistakes.

We swung around and got two rods on - new guy jitters came out. In line reeled tight to tips - net chasing the fish - it got ugly fast.

They reset rods while I turned to avoid huge ship. Looked back - deep rods had been set in the high rod holders - the 7 -8 bars rods were out 12. Reset the 4 rods and crew vowed to pay closer attention.

Well , that went to shit as 3 rods went down. One was a good fish - Danny worked on it as Leroy and I brought in twin 23. Danny got a nice 31 incher. Five in the cooler - we carefully reset the rods and swung around.

Meter lit up and two rods went off. Kept the bigger one - 24 and let the other go. Reeled in two other rods and ran south to Perch fish.

Added about 20 Perch 9-10 inchers to cooler and then ran back at about 11:00. Heat really hit once at ramp - I let Leroy and Danny take all the fish - they went to marina store to get more ice for long drive back to Gaithersburg.

We had fun trip - even though it was 13th of month.
    They say that life's a carousel - spinning fast, you've got to ride it well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Always enjoy your reports; outstanding work. Thanks
    Did you use any spoons in your spread on this trip?

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Good seeing you out there Skip. You did not miss anything coming a little late. The fish were all stacked on the bottom and nothing was biting. Eventually they moved up and it was a quick limit. Hot like hell out there and my car's a/c is not working. Great day though......... Gary

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thanks for the report Skip, nice job out there.

Mike

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Skip, have you had any bite offs up north? I tied into a 15 inch blue yesterday on a Z-man, but this was the first blue that I've seen this season. Nice report, and good catching!

Don

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCat09 View Post
    Skip, have you had any bite offs up north? I tied into a 15 inch blue yesterday on a Z-man, but this was the first blue that I've seen this season. Nice report, and good catching!

Don
    We fished near Poplar on Wednesday and had two clean bite offs on BKDs.

9. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements