Tidal Fish Forum banner

Hook and Line Fishery Only

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  iFishMD 
#1 ·
#3 ·
No offense, but this seems like a very poorly presented alternative proposal for fishery management through fishing gear restrictions.

State or federal or interstate managed fisheries? All?

What about scallops and shrimp? Lobsters and crabs? What about forage species like anchovy, squid, herring, and other important commercial species?
Bait--were would recs get squid, ballyhoo, menhaden and other bait?

What organization is behind this and who would the petition be presented to? The President? Secretary of Commerce? State Directors?

What about adverse social and economic impacts to commercial fishermen and fishing communities?

I am trying to be helpful and not negative, the website raises more questions than it answers.

#5 ·
No offense, but this seems like a very poorly presented alternative proposal for fishery management through fishing gear restrictions.

State or federal or interstate managed fisheries? All?

What about scallops and shrimp? Lobsters and crabs? What about forage species like anchovy, squid, herring, and other important commercial species?
Bait--were would recs get squid, ballyhoo, menhaden and other bait?

What organization is behind this and who would the petition be presented to? The President? Secretary of Commerce? State Directors?

What about adverse social and economic impacts to commercial fishermen and fishing communities?

I am trying to be helpful and not negative, the website raises more questions than it answers.
many of the same questions and thought I had...

#6 · (Edited)
Steve, BillL, and HeyCharlie,
No Offense taken, my answers to questions here. Law would be Federal and Definition of the waters would have to piggyback all navigable waterway rules and regulations and I think it extends from 0-200 miles from shore. Rule is only for fin fish only not crustaceans or mollusks. Bait is a good question, however I think it is doable to catch bait hook and line. Fish eat, so they open their mouths, thus a hook can get in. I expect a lot of debate around this topic though. No organization behind this, just me, a pissed off fisherman who wants change. I want to see how many signatures I get and go from there. If people are interested I will move forward, if not then obviously i am out of control and don't know how to fish. If you look at the petition I don't leave out the commercial fisherman. I know it will be a hard pill to swallow at 1st, but it will have to be a roll out bill to give time to the commercial guys to adjust. They will make money, they just have to figure out the new game. Head boats for pay, cut of catch, etc.
I am more worried about the big lobbyists in Red Lobster, Long John Silvers, Omega Protein,blah, blah that want more fish, extended seasons, more tonnage, and more money that is where the fight is going to be at. Thanks for the response, hope this helps.

#8 ·
Interesting read on Founder decline. https://www.thefisherman.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.print&Feature_ID=1660

Found this little bit of information in the article as well.
Finally, the FMP has to address high grading. The higher market value of larger sushi grade females is an incentive for commercial trawlers to high grade at sea. That is the practice of throwing back dead smaller fluke caught in the net so the vessel can keep a higher percentage of large fish. This is exacerbated by commercial trip limits which limit the poundage of fluke they can bring to dock on a single trip. Simple economics make it advantageous for the vessel to maximize its landings of bigger fish, which could be a contributing factor to the decline in SSB.

#9 ·
Recs also high grade and MD has a specific regulation prohibiting it for stripers. Recs do lots of legal harvesting and a lot of poaching too and its death by a thousand cuts

In the last benchmark stock assessment for stripers, the data indicated recs harvested _five times_ (500%) more breeding size stripers than comms across the entire coastal fishery. Based on the best available scientifid information, FIVE times more breeders are killed by recs than comms. Those data are presented in the report at the link below.

https://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/publications/crd/crd1316/partb.pdf

Recs are more of a management challenge relative to fishery conservation than comms.

#11 ·
In the last benchmark stock assessment for stripers, the data indicated recs harvested _five times_ (500%) more breeding size stripers than comms across the entire coastal fishery. Based on the best available scientifid information, FIVE times more breeders are killed by recs than comms. .
Those statistics are biased quite a bit because VA and Maryland make up a HUGE majority of the commercial harvest, especially in number of fish. Most Atlantic states either do not allow for a commercial harvest at all or have allocation policies that vastly favor the recreational sector as they attempt to manage the resource to benefit their state the most.

#10 ·
We all know that rec harvests have been greatly exaggerated.. Info created using faulty methods, to help make comm industry look better on paper IT IS PHONY
( comm's donate to Regulators)

While doing Ramp surveys at a widely used ramp at Va beach, people doing surveys skipped over those rec's coming in with no fish or just one or 2 and "ran to those that came in with more fish" ... I don't know if the were told to increase catch numbers,,, ??? or just wanted to see.. Heard of this being done at other ramps also.
Been fishing in Va for 50+ yrs,,, Never had a phone survey -- Other than one a few weeks ago for my OFFSHORE fishing..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.