Tidal Fish Forum banner

Why haven't 2017 MSSA Tournament Winners Been Paid Yet?

152K views 322 replies 67 participants last post by  SteveL 
#1 ·
Seems like a lot of BS excuses from the MSSA. "Had a bad year in 2017" amongst others.

#30 ·
Ahh they let the superdink back. In that case someone call, blakesdad 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 ..,, chumbucket aka... well nevermind, evildick .... , and Burgess back and we can restore some spirited convos. Is Brandon anywhere to be found now-a-days and did he pass on the banned list? If not we may have a chance at making TF great again lol.

As far as this thread goes, does anyone know if this really happened or are we just piggy backing on a thread that posed speculation. Not doubting on the OP but how far does this really go? Just curious if the statements made are verified fact or not. If so that's a shame but it would be good to remember lots of organizations go through down turns. As a general statement I'm not a member of MSSA nor do I know any leaders in the organization so I don't have a dog in this fight. Seems like they have some good qualities I'm just surprised legal counsel hasn't reached out to TF or made an official statement here. What's up with that?

-Evans

#34 ·
Good afternoon boys and girls.
I have been reading post on this site for several years. lots of great info.
First time for me to post a response.
I am a former MSSA member. I chose not to renew my membership for several reason.
Anyway that is besides the point i'm getting ready to make.
In Sept. I fished the flounder tournament held in OC. I was not the Capt of the boat but we did weigh in the 2nd place flounder.
My all time bucket list 10.1 lb BEAST. As of today the check is still in the mail. (I just got off the phone with the Capt)
4 plus months is unacceptable. Time for a independent audit of the books in my opinion.
This type of action is the reason the membership is suffering.

SKIFF

#36 ·
To all - I ask a favor / few days patience.

Every issue brought forth will be addressed on Tuesday evening - Feb. 6th - at MSSA normal scheduled committee meeting. Payment of tournament winners is on top of agenda. There is a lot of rumors right now - I hate seeing MSSA bashed - although I agree with some of it.

MSSA president - Frank Holden and committee will get everything straight.

#41 ·
Finally...someone has the balls to criticize the "Trophy Season" for Rockfish. It has never made sense to me to kill the biggest, oldest, and most successful spawning fish for stroking egos and making money off (of all things) RECREATIONAL fishing as stated above.

But then again - what do I know. I'm just a deplorable rec fisherman applying common sense to what is obvious. I agree completely with what SteveL says.

#42 ·
How does one make this a Sticky?

Good morning MSSA Board of Directors Members,

I know there has been quite a bit of speculation online about MSSA and its inability to pay the prizes out from the Fall Tournament. Additionally, I received a call from the landlord at the MSSA office last night that MSSA was $4500 behind on rent and he would evict us this morning.

I called the landlord back and asked for a 72 hour extension which he granted. Today Ed Kucharski, Amy, and later myself went over all the MSSA bank statements from the last 5 months had found many disturbing irregularities. Most of those issues were withdrawals and personal charges made by Executive Director Dave Smith.

Based on those facts Ed and I went to M&T Bank and removed Dave’s name from any and all MSSA accounts. We asked for current statements, etc. to see exactly where MSSA stands and it was not a pretty picture. Essentially we have $320 in our savings, no CD as reported in recent treasures reports, and around $3800 in our checking account. Bills have not been paid, the fall tournament winners haven’t been paid, and the list just goes on. I paid the $4500 back rent out of my own personal funds to avoid finding our entire office alongside Ft. Smallwood Rd. Friday morning. The locks have also been changed.

At the decision of the Executive committee David Smith is no longer employed by MSSA. Ed Kucharski has agreed to serve as Executive Director for the time being and Amy will continue to serve as our office Manager.

We will have a Board of Directors meeting on Tuesday, February 6. I urge everyone to either attend or call in. It’s only with the assistance of the entire board that we will be able to survive this crisis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.