Why haven't 2017 MSSA Tournament Winners Been Paid Yet? - Page 9

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!

Quote Originally Posted by ontheflats View Post
    You'd be surprised how many groups have started fishing clubs and held functions only to benefit the officers.
    You got that right !!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

The details provided in the supposed internal email posted here -- if true -- make me wonder how often the board met, the last time it was presented with a financial report or conducted other very basic, critical oversight functions. When was its last audit and who signed off on it? I hope MSSA has professional liability insurance for the board. I hope they use this episode as a means to reform the way that they and MSSA operates.

Great post Goose. I empathize with the board, but question how MSSA can survive if appropriate accountability does not ensue. If the information in this forum is correct, it would appear, at best, that at the very least the treasurer was derelict in his duties. It would seem that if anyone besides the exec. director actually looked at the bank statements, problems would have been identified at a much earlier stage. Monthly treasurer reports, signed off by the treasurer and submitted to the board for approval should be a minimal requirement of that position.
    On a broader plane, one wonders how the organization will be able to move forward and recover with the present board (look at what has happened to the USA Gymnastics board in the wake of Dr. Larry Nassar's misdeeds) in place. I hope that there is only one bad guy at the bottom of this mess; but even if that is the case, many good folks who contributed time, money, and talent to leadership roles in the MSSA will suffer. One of the first questions to be answered will be who controls the monies in the individual chapter treasuries. For now, my heart, but not my pocketbook, goes out to the good guys who get burnt in this mess. Their efforts deserve better.

- - - Updated - - -

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

It will be interesting! I first joined in 1986. Nothing lasts forever........... Gary

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Just want to fish and contribute to a cause (not a individual) larger than myself. I know the board has integrity. its a shame we got a bad apple. We have a lot to be grateful for with the Chesapeake bay. Like the NRA with the 2nd amendment, The MSSA still gives me a voice. I hope we can shake this off and move forward. I don't believe trust is anything to be ashamed of, to betray trust on the other hand just pisses me off. Old school I guess.

Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!

Soooo ....... the President has the checkbook and the Treasurer and office manager etc have no idea what is happening over many months even though there were complaints about tournament winners were not paid etc. ........... kinda hard to understand how this could happen when there are so many people that are supposed to oversee this stuff.

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I am so sorry to hear about the impacts to members, its a sad outcome. I know very little about MSSA other than the fact it promotes a lot of tournaments. I found this message on the website, which suggests the problems have been brewing for a while.

http://mssa.net/presidents-message

"President’s Report Fall 2017

Dear Members,

......I hope by now many of you have received a letter sent to your homes detailing some financial challenges MSSA is now facing. The very last thing we ever wanted to do was to ask for financial help but 2017 has proven to be a tough for MSSA financially. Our spring tournament was down about $40,000 in profit and we have been working hard to overcome that obstacle the recent Summer Classic was a big help as was suspending chapter membership rebates. We decided to put this edition of Tidelines on line like the summer edition. These three items has erased almost half of that loss. So how about pulling out that letter and sending a few dollars our way? With over 4000 letters sent out just $20 a piece would yield huge results! I don’t expect everyone to contribute but how about helping us out? Anything helps and many of your fellow members have already answered the call and decided to help out. How about you? Don’t forget-$20 is just a start. No donation is ever too BIG! If you’d really like to cement your commitment to MSSA why not consider becoming a life member into MSSA. This is a one-time $500 membership that can be paid in quarterly instalments? It’s a great way to help out in a big way...."

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rhahn427 View Post
    Soooo ....... the President has the checkbook...
    Executive Director, keep up...

Chief Angler / Moderator

Hi All

I knew there was something going on in that org with Dave going all the way back to 2012. I never said anything because I did not want to start a war and at the time no one would have believed me. Read on...

How do I know? Well it goes all the way back to 2012. Dave, on behalf of MSSA, bought some Lateral Line shirts from us to use to put MSSA logo on and sell to MSSA members. We billed Dave several times. When I pushed it he got super angry and he even went so far as to tell me that I was rich enough and he did not need to pay.

IN FACT, I even emailed the MSSA Board of Directors about it copying the text messages in the thread. I know Frank would have those emails because he was on all of them.

NOTHING WAS EVER DONE. Instead of creating a sh*t storm I just stop pushing it because it was very clear to me that something was up and with Dave there I was not going to be able to ever collect.

Invoice below that to this day I have not been paid on.

MSSA, please add me to the people you owe money. Please email me at B at BrandonCWhite.com for my address where to send the money.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSSA Invoice,png.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	245066

PS I will dig up the text messages and emails. It was a while ago but I am sure I have them saved somewhere.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

wow,
    so even in 2012 the board of directors was unresponsive to an unpaid invoice

Chief Angler / Moderator

I was a little shocked because I included the text messages where Dave told me basically that I was rich enough, did not need the money and should not try to collect and that he was not paying it.

The email I sent with that info would have been around 2014/15 time frame. My accountant always brought it up that I should collect during tax season and every year for a few months I would try.

I knew Dave and had worked with him. I always sensed something did not feel right and could never put my finger on it. The text messages he sounded very angry and made me feel like I was doing something wrong for trying to collect money I was owed.

When I copied the Board of Directors and did not get any action I got to a point where if the Board was not going to make good on things where I am left? The only place would be to go to court and while it is a decent amount of money I would eat lawyers fees in trying to collect. I never said they were off the hook to pay and figured eventually Dave would leave or get fired and it would come to light. I am a patient man.

I will try and dig up the text messages and emails and post them here. Like I said, I know Frank H was copied on them and would have copies if he goes back in his email. Also, unless Dave deleted all his MSSA email, they would be in his email. Probably a lot of other interesting information in that email account I would guess based on what I have read this morning.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast