Good Information schnakeheads
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: schnakeheads

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Default schnakeheads

I went on my weekly schnakehead hunting trip yesterday on the shore. My favorite place to hunt them. The fishing and hunting was very good but my landing ratio needs work. Doesn't matter, I've got plenty of steaks from a guided trip on the Virginia side of the Potomac from last week so I would have released them all anyway. I won't be needing any schnake steaks for a good while. I had 5 fish on and only landed 1. The rest managed to schnake off . The one I really would have liked to have landed was a bruiser that I finally coaxed into biting . It appeared to have engulfed the surface lure I presented to it and after setting the hook 5 times it still managed to dislodge the hook and headed back to it's lair. I'm sure it was well over 10#. Here's a pitcha of a the smaller 3-4 pounder that I caught and released. This is there spawning season and they are easier to entice to bite. If I encounter any pairs protecting heir young I won't target them. IMG_20180607_074540.jpg I'll give em hell next week. Or maybe they'll give me hell? If they were easy to catch they would have called it Rock fishing or Bass fishing or Crappie fishing something else .
    Fishing can be anything you want it to be

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Yep, all fishing is easy except snake head fishing.

Blog Entries

Beginners luck on snakeheads. The first 4 I caught this year was while I was not not fishing for them. They were where they weren't supposed to be according to expert snakehead authors and guides .Try to catch them where they're supposed to be or set up to feed and it isn't always easy. But it sure is fun if you have the patience. If you don't have a lot of patience, stick to the easier fish. At least for me they have been tough to land and a lot of others who are passionate about them. As hard as they strike you'd think you would have them solidly hooked. The only other fish I've had this much trouble landing is Tarpon.
    Last edited by Capt.Nick; 06-09-2018 at 08:12 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

Explored some new territory today for a change of scenery . High water, wind, sunny, Bummer. Fished 4 hours with only 1 strike . Saw a few but they didn't seem interested in eating. I decided to call it a day and fish a few places on the paddle back while eating a banana. No strikes at every good looking place I tried. I was thinking of going home and eating a crab cake when I got a hell of a strike. The snake shot across the water looking like a torpedo blasting the lure. The snake dove into the spadderdock and wrapped me up good. It was a see saw back and forth with the rod and line. Give and take . All I could do was break some stalks off the spadderdock one by one to try to untangle the mess to get to the fish.I was sure It was going to be a hopeless case of getting the fish in the net . After awhile the fish tired and I managed to get it in the net. I never thought it was going to happen. In the following picture you'll see my half eaten banana that the snake slimed on the way in , in my kayak. It's a terrible picture and not the 22 pounder I'm looking for but the Boga said 10.5 lbs. and thirty two thirty ,thirty three inches. My best so far this year. Maybe next time I'll get a big one.IMG_20180612_111627.jpg

Blog Entries

Very interesting banana and crab cake I heard the crab cake story a few post ago on another persons report. That's a good one.
    Last edited by andypat; 06-13-2018 at 05:24 AM.

Blog Entries

I'll post again if I catch any larger ones. No point in posting smaller ones.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Nick View Post
    I'll post again if I catch any larger ones. No point in posting smaller ones.
    Capt.Nick, you are a Super Star. I hope i can live long enough to be as good as you. PS. We like pictures. Ain't that right guys?

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thought they are not to be returned, once caught???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deskins View Post
    Thought they are not to be returned, once caught???
    They can be released in the same body of water you caught them in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andypat View Post
    Capt.Nick, you are a Super Star. I hope i can live long enough to be as good as you. PS. We like pictures. Ain't that right guys?
    Andy I've caught enough smaller snakeheads now under 10 # that I'm just interested in Trophy sized ones . I'll be using the theory of bigger baits catch bigger fish to discourage smaller ones from striking in hopes of Trophys. I don't think there's many if any over 20# where I'm fishing. I only know of 1 -12# fish caught this month where I fish. We'll see.

13. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast